PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 polaris ranger 400. With the motor running and i switch the headlights on, the motor cuts out and then continues to run. If the motor is warm it doesn't kill the motor it's almost like you cut the key off and back on very quickly, it may backfire if you're running down the road at high rpms. When you flip the headlights on they initially blink and then work perfectly. I noticed the ignition switch was loose so i tightened it up. I pulled the fuse on the headlights and tail lights and it will still do it. I also noticed that when the key is in the headlights on position you can wiggle the key(it has a little slack in it) and i can make the problem occur that way. I am hoping that a new ignition switch will cure the problem but i just wanted to see if anyone here had any input.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also i forgot to add that i am getting 12 volts with the motor off, 12 plus a little at idle and about 13.9 volts with the motor reved. The volts do not change with the headlights running. The volts do drop a little when you switch the headlights on and the motor cuts out momentarily but the volts climb right back up to 13.9 and that's with the headlights on. I can run all other accessories switching them on and off with no problem at all.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sure sounds like the switch, since you can duplicate the symptoms by wiggling it. The momentary drop in voltage corresponding with engine cutout and switch movement also points to the switch. Nice description of the problem... Makes it easier to troubleshoot long distance.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your response. I installed the new switch this afternoon and it seams to have solved the problem.
Yeah I figured I would go ahead and throw out all the info I had haha.
Maybe this will help out someone down the road because my internet search for my symptoms did not bring up anything that matched.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts