PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just begun to have problems starting my Ranger..........intermittent short engagement, sometimes just a "click", sometimes a good start. After several attempts, it will start, but the problem seems to be more frequent each time out. I'm quite a ways from a service station, so would like to take a stab at repairs myself if it might be something like the starter, solenoid, ignition, etc. Any ideas to get me headed in the right direction? Thanks in advance. Garwood

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
During one of the "just clicks" episodes, if you can jump across the starter solenoid posts (key on) and start it, it is obviously the solenoid. Like B said............check the battery & cable connections.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
If the battery proves good take the advice the Polaris Service Manual gives: 80% of all electrical problems are bad connections or grounds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the battery proves good take the advice the Polaris Service Manual gives: 80% of all electrical problems are bad connections or grounds.
Battery is good, lights and winch work, so I'll try the solenoid jump next and check out the ground. Thanks to all for the ideas. Gary

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
During one of the "just clicks" episodes, if you can jump across the starter solenoid posts (key on) and start it, it is obviously the solenoid. Like B said............check the battery & cable connections.
Great idea, jungleman! I jumped the solenoid and the Ranger started right up. I've got a replacement solenoid on order and would think that should take care of my problem. I can't thank you guys enough for your help. You've saved me many hours of time and a couple hundred dollars, for sure, in addition to adding to my education. Great guys and a great website. Garwood

·
Registered
4,982 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again, jungleman. That was my thought also, and would be my next step after installing a new solenoid. Since the ATV started by jumping the solenoid, at least I know it isn't the starter. The solenoid/ignition are relatively cheap fixes in comparison to the starter. I'll let you know how things end up when I get the new solenoid installed next week. Garwood

1 - 9 of 9 Posts