PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a really nice 2011 Polaris Ranger 500 4x4 efi and my brother has a 2020 Ranger 500 and I was just wanting to see if anyone could tell me the main differences in the two? I'm doing a bunch of regular maintenance work on mine to get it in tip top shape and he was asking me if I could do some regular maintenance on his also and was just curious as to how similar or different the two are? Any info is greatly appreciated, thanks! Pictures are of my 2011.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Your engines are the same cc but the 2020 is the new redesigned version. Older on is a dry sump where the newer uses a wet sump oil system. Different oil filters, 2520799 vs 2540086.

So, oil changes and transmission fluid changes will be different due to filter, drain and fill plug locations. Different air filters and spark plugs as well. Grease points should be the same though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your engines are the same cc but the 2020 is the new redesigned version. Older on is a dry sump where the newer uses a wet sump oil system. Different oil filters, 2520799 vs 2540086.

So, oil changes and transmission fluid changes will be different due to filter, drain and fill plug locations. Different air filters and spark plugs as well. Grease points should be the same though.
So other than the updated engine are the layout and basics pretty much the same? Was there any real change body or performance wise? And what about suspension? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
The layout is the same but as far as the vehicles themselves they are totally different.
Engine, transmission, front differential, frame, body, roll cage, suspension, all different. The front suspension looks the same but uses different parts.
There might be some parts like hubs, brakes, wheel bearings, etc that might be the same.
Changing the spark plug on the newer 500 might to be a problem. Several questions have been asked about it and I have never seen an answer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The layout is the same but as far as the vehicles themselves they are totally different.
Engine, transmission, front differential, frame, body, roll cage, suspension, all different. The front suspension looks the same but uses different parts.
There might be some parts like hubs, brakes, wheel bearings, etc that might be the same.
Changing the spark plug on the newer 500 might to be a problem. Several questions have been asked about it and I have never seen an answer.
I'm curious as to what the problem is also as I'll most likely be the one changing his out.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I have a 570 Ace and it has a similar problem. The spark plug wrench that comes in the tool kit will work but none of my other tools will, so it might be something as simple as that.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Not sure about the tool kit but the plug we're talking about is the Autolite 5924, or Polaris 3023515. It takes a standard 16mm spark plug socket. Also, the NGK cross is a BKR6E or BKR6EIX.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
It's not the size of the wrench or socket that is the problem.
Getting the wrench in there and getting the plug out is the problem, at least in the Ace that is the problem..
I have never checked out a newer Ranger 500 so I don't have any idea about that one.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
It's not the size of the wrench or socket that is the problem.
Getting the wrench in there and getting the plug out is the problem, at least in the Ace that is the problem..
I have never checked out a newer Ranger 500 so I don't have any idea about that one.
So you're saying that the supplied plug wrench fits the plug but not the space where the plug is located?

That's a fairly typical Polaris oversight. Kind of like an early 800 Ranger trans fill plug located right behind a frame member. Or a..............I could go on and on.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
So you're saying that the supplied plug wrench fits the plug but not the space where the plug is located?
No, lol, the Polaris supplied wrench does fit and is able to remove the plug but ordinary tools you have in your tool box that you normally pick up to do the job won't fit in there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a truly pleasant 2011 Polaris Officer 500 4x4 efi and my sibling has a 2020 Officer 500 and I was simply needing to check whether anybody could let me know the primary distinctions in the two? I'm doing a lot of customary support deal with mine to get it in excellent condition and he was inquiring as to whether I could do some standard upkeep on his likewise and was only inquisitive regarding how comparative or different the two are? Any data is incredibly valuable, much obliged! Pictures are of my 2011.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Wow. What a coincidence.
Same years as the op.
Basically the same wording for the post as the op
And... are you also using the same pictures as the op?
Very interesting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts