PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Ranger 800 Crew with the circuit breaker/heat problem. I have replaced it twice before and a third time yesterday. What I think is happening is that it's getting really hot under the hood causing the circuit breaker to open. It so hot you cannot touch it. I can tap it and the fan will come on. So I am looking for ideas where to relocate the circuit breaker to keep it cooler. I have been using my ranger to pull a brush cutter at the deer lease for 4 hours a day in 95+ degree heat. So the fan is constantly cycling.

·
Registered
235 Posts
just replace it with a matching fuse. if it's 30A take a fuse house and a 30A fuse and give this CB a kick in the As$. I did it on my old 800 and it fixed all the s#@t. put a FUSE and you are done.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was really thinking about using a regular fuse but didn't know if it would be a good idea or not. At least with a cb it will reset itself, but can always throw a pack of fuses in the glove box. I will also be investing in a fan override switch, any recommendations on one?

·
Registered
970 Posts
If you're blowing fuses / tripping circuit breakers you have a problem . Myself , I prefer fuses , aftermarket { China junk } atv circuit breakers are not the best quality

·
Registered
235 Posts
I was really thinking about using a regular fuse but didn't know if it would be a good idea or not. At least with a cb it will reset itself, but can always throw a pack of fuses in the glove box. I will also be investing in a fan override switch, any recommendations on one?
I bought this one and had it installed on my 800XP as well.

Reactions: rkersh409

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,708 Posts
I guess there's always a first time but I really doubt high ambient temperatures and location are your problem. I've never seen breakers trip due to high ambient temperatures. I rode fire apparatus in S. FL for years as well has having vehicles there and never had a breaker trip due to high ambient temperature. The breakers on the apparatus were in a confined area in the dash and if you opened the panel the air inside was hot due to all of the electrical circuitry in that area. It's far more likely that you either have an intermittent short or your fan is going bad. A motor with bad bearings, something overloading it like debris caught on the blades or lacking lubrication draws an over current and will trip a breaker or blow a fuse. I suggest using an inductive amp probe with the fan running to see how much is being drawn. Anything over 80% of the breaker capacity is likely to eventually trip a breaker given enough time as heat builds up.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess there's always a first time but I really doubt high ambient temperatures and location are your problem. I've never seen breakers trip due to high ambient temperatures. I rode fire apparatus in S. FL for years as well has having vehicles there and never had a breaker trip due to high ambient temperature. The breakers on the apparatus were in a confined area in the dash and if you opened the panel the air inside was hot due to all of the electrical circuitry in that area. It's far more likely that you either have an intermittent short or your fan is going bad. A motor with bad bearings, something overloading it like debris caught on the blades or lacking lubrication draws an over current and will trip a breaker or blow a fuse. I suggest using an inductive amp probe with the fan rinning to see how much is being drawn. Anything over 80% of the breaker capacity is likely to eventually trip a breaker given enough time as heat builds up.
You are probably right about the fan going out. Everything else on this machine has went out, why not the fan too. But when I left the hood open and finished mowing, it never had a problem after that. It is probably just a fluke though. I will have to put an amp meter in line next time I take it out to see what kind of amp draw its getting. Thanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took the circuit breaker out and put in a normal ATC fuse holder. The fan cycled twice with no problems, then on the third time it blew the 20 amp fuse. So I guess im going to have to replace the fan. Does anyone know what the ohm's should be on a good fan?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I took the circuit breaker out and put in a normal ATC fuse holder. The fan cycled twice with no problems, then on the third time it blew the 20 amp fuse. So I guess im going to have to replace the fan. Does anyone know what the ohm's should be on a good fan?
well I would buy a SPAL fan matching the CFM of your original fan. if I am not mistaken , you biggest PITA is the fact the fan and the fan shroud are one piece. you will have to find a way to
put the new fan in...

Reactions: rkersh409

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts