PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the trigger about two weeks ago on a 2015 Ranger 900XP. I upgraded from 2011 Ranger 800XP. The 800XP had some early issues with wiring/heat that I had to work through. After the issues were finally resolved, the 800 ran fine and served me well.

So, after two weeks of bouncing around the desert in the 900XP I can say that I’m extremely happy I upgraded. Right away I noticed the new one is not near as loud as the 800XP. You can honestly hold a conversation with your passenger. The next big thing was how smooth the 900XP rides. It rides a whole lot smoother than the 800XP, and almost as smooth as a Polaris RZR. The other big change is the engine heat. Although we had a nice cold spell here in Arizona where the 800XP’s cabin heat would have been welcomed, I surely won’t miss it once it warms up a bit. Along those lines, it seems the 900XP runs significantly cooler than the 800XP. That may be a product of the cold weather, but even in cold weather the fan in the 800XP would kick in and of course blow that hot air at me. And the fan in the 900XP is a whole lot more quiet. Unless you really pay attention, you just don’t hear it kicking in like on the 800XP. Initially I thought the fan wasn’t working, but I closely monitored the temperature and eventually did hear the fan kick in.

The bench seat on the 900XP seems to be a little softer, and I feel like I’m sitting up higher in the 900XP than I did on 800XP. My 800 had a half windshield and the wind didn’t hit may face. In the 900XP, the wind hits my face, which I really didn’t like in the cold weather. Maybe I need a full windshield for those rare cold mornings. I had a full windshield for the 800XP, but only used it once. It was a PIA to install. But with the 900XP, it will be easy on, easy off!

The other big change in the 900XP is the power. There’s significant increase in HP compared to the 800XP. I have goosed it once or twice, and it will pop your neck back. But ,the way I drive I don’t really need that power, but I like knowing it’s there!

Hopefully, the only downside to the new Ranger will be the cost. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I won’t experience any of the early IAC, TBS, and wiring issues I had with the 800XP.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dang you. Another push to trade my 800 off. Lol.
How's the gas mileage compared to the 800 . 800 does all I need . But cab fitment leaves a lot of gaps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't check the gas mileage yet. But, I would guess it's fairly close to the 800. The other item I failed to mention is it looks like it's going to be a lot easier to change the oil in the 900. No more slowing feeding oil with a funnel down the dipstick tube. And I'm hoping it will also be easier to get a handle on the oil filter.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was one to upgade from the 800 to a 900 and haven't looked back! Fuel efficiency is there, no heat issues, more power, and all around better ride..Love it! And as far as the service goes, filter is a little more conveniently located but still not what I would classify as "easy".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts