PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Ranger Crew 800 with 1250 miles, I purchased it 3 months ago with only 250 miles on it at the time. My son was riding it and had a flat tire after apparently running over something. I fixed the tire and the neXT day he called me after the upper boot had came loose off of the rear passenger side axle which caused the grease to go everywhere and smoke and cause what he thought was a fire. I have since replaced that axle 3 times and I am continously having the same problem which appears to be the ring closest to the differential coming loose on the boot causing the problems listed previously. I'm thinking this may be heat related but I am completely lost

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
if it's gotten really hot before enough to where it was smoking, I wouldn't bother putting a boot on it, the joint is cooked more than likely.

I'd bet you if you temp gunned that joint and compared it to the others after a quick ride it would be hotter than the rest.

Without seeing it, I'd say you need a new axle assembly.

Don't know exactly what polaris gets for them these days, but I've had good luck with American CV.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just had the same problem on the wife's car, kept throwing the inner boot off. It had a broken motor mount, under load it would flex and the boot clamp would rub the frame. Check the differential mounting.

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
A friend of mine had a 2010 that did that. He couldn't rude a half hour without the boot blowing up. He never did find a fix. We believe the Tranny had bearing issues which got hot.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had that boot get hot and deformed. It wouldn't go back to the ruffled stock look but it was deformed and the rubber was hard and not pliable. I replaced the boot and all has been good. It did this after an extended highway trip in hot ambient temps. Haven't done that again and it hasn't had the problem again either. IMO that joint/boot runs hotter than the rest due to rearend temp and the exhaust right over it. I bet a heat shield under the exhaust there will reduce the problem in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts