PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After using that little search thing here I have determined without taking my transmission apart the most likely cause of my issues has been caused by a failure of the chain tensioner. I also ordered some new bearings as well. I do have a question for those who have gone before me on this issue, and that is how much fluid did you add to your transmission? I have read that the recommended amount by Polaris for this model isn't sufficient due to the fact that those bearings get their lube from oil splash. I intended to put the fluid in before reinstalling the transmission and checking for leaks in the case after reassembly. The 2020 XP is my fil's. Very nice to have AC in these
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle
90 + temps

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
It seems like the 800 tranny supposed to hold around 34 oz? I always over fill mine a few oz. I put a clean piece of tubing on the vent and fill it through that. Have to give it time to vent the air out during the process, but easier than removing the fill plug. Since you got the transmission out of the machine that shouldn't be a problem. They got smart on the newer ones and put the fill plug on the rear of the transmission.

Even on my 1000 I jack up the rear while adding the fluid from the rear so I can get a few extra oz. in it. I don't see how it can hurt to slightly over fill them.

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
4,092 Posts
I'm not sure I agree that Polaris recommended fluid level isn't sufficient. Many Forum members have these vehicles with the recommended fill but have no trouble. If you decide to slightly overfill I doubt it will hurt anything but you may get leakage from the breather vent.

FWIW, On the other hand, overfilling engine oil is a bad thing. It can cause parasitic power loss and oil foaming which reduces lubrication.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
There is a bearing on the early 800s that seems to get starved for oil. I believe it's on the reverse shaft (spins all of the time, not just reverse) and when it goes it's not pretty. I don't know if it's due to too low of oil or maybe a bad location that doesn't get oil slung its way but it does seem to be an engineering mistake.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Maybe I have been lucky so far on my 2011 800 but it's coming up on 8000 miles and no major problems. I've been over filling the transmission when I change the fluid and will continue to do that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well pulled the transmission. Split the case and yes the tensioner was shot but not broken.
The tensioner ratchet was at full extension and nearly cut it through due to a very stretched chain. The reason for this excessively stretched chain as far as I can tell is from using 90 weight or close gear lube. Way to heavy of oil for this transaxle. Machine has less then 6 thousand miles on it. I have a feeling someone who didn't know what to use for lube just tossed in gear lube not knowing it would destroy the chain.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas
Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper
Crankset Automotive tire Light Gear Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Bumper
Wood Finger Gesture Thumb Automotive tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Machine
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While waiting for the replacement drive chain I decided there was no better time then to clean up the frame. I have found some places where the paint has been scuffed off pretty good and I will treat and paint those areas as well. Much easier to maintain a clean machine!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Rim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The machine has been back together for a week now and I have about 40+ miles on it. Its smooth and quiet and the lighter lube runs cool. Max transaxle temp has reached 95 on a 84 degree day after about a 11 mile run at 40 mph+. I find no issues in the transaxle now. However we do have a fuel vapor lock issue when trying a hot start. Fuel line routing appears to be an issue. I need to address that and the seat escaping from under the seat. Also exhaust fumes creeping back through the canvas doors which have little to no sealing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts