PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2012 ranger 800 crew stock
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All, First time to post here, neem a stalker for awhile. thanks to all the good info I have fixed a lot of stuff on my rig, Now I have a new problem the search hasn't helped me find. The other day while i was driving up the driveway the ranger just started a chattering sound and quit moving. I was in low ,then tried high and rev. all with the noise and no movement at first I thought maybe belt, It looked good but I got a new one anyway, scratched up the sheaves with a scotchbrite pad. No luck. Thought maybe splines or cv's all seem good. Checked shift linkage it apears to be locking into the right place. So before I attempt to tear into the gearbox I thought I would ask and see if there is anything else I may be missing. thanks for any help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does it move in 4wd? Sounds like maybe the drive chain in the transaxle there is a plastic tensioner in there that Ive seen break and cause the issue you are having.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It move a little but of course still makes the noise I'm afraid to give it to much gas, don't want to break anything else.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If it moves in 4wd but not in 2wd I would bet the tensioner broke. Here is the parts diagram https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/p...ah-eav-eaw/drive-train-main-gearcase-internal

I would order 14, 15, and 16 just for good measure although you don't have to order 15.

It is not hard to pull the transaxle on those just need a puller for primary clutch. Make sure the gears that the big chain ride on don't have chips and are in good condition.

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,649 Posts
It's possible that you broke an axle, I'd check them before diving in deep.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
This, sometimes I take for granted that stuff has been checked.

The problem with trying to help on forums is that we have no idea about the knowledge base of the questioner nor what has been done prior to asking. I try not to be insulting to experienced people while also assuming that most don't have much of a mechanical knowledge base so when providing advice I usually start witht he simplest things or they wouldn't be asking here. If the person posing the question gets offended because I over simplified they can either deal with it or ask someone else.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pyromedic, yes sir I did check the axles, while i was checking axle splines and cv joints. Being insulting isn't always a bad thing, that's why I am here seeking help. I'm getting to the point my brain is sometimes foggy and I miss things. I went to fastenall and got a bolt to make a home made puller for the clutch, it seems stuck. I had a pretty long breaker bar on it and it wouldn't budge. How much force should i put on it? I certainly don't want to break it also. Also thank you guys for giving actual advice instead of suggesting I take it to the dealer as I see so many times lol.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I went to fastenall and got a bolt to make a home made puller for the clutch, it seems stuck. I had a pretty long breaker bar on it and it wouldn't budge. How much force should i put on it? I certainly don't want to break it also.
Home made clutch pullers scare me. Using a properly hardened factory made puller takes considerable force and a light wack with a hammer will often shake things loose. A little high pressure lube on the threads helps. Depending upon the hardness of the bolt you for from Fastenal, you may be fine, but a softer bolt may mushroom or distort threads or even twist off when enough force is applied or damage the threads in the end of the crankshaft which hold the clutch on. The shape of the end is important. If any of that happens you are in a world of hurt with a whole new problem on your hands.
A proper puller is available on Amazon for about $15 with free shipping. Probably about the same on eBay.

Understand, I am not against home/shop made tools. I often make specialty tools using my welder, lathe and milling machine. When doing so I am also conscious of metallurgy as well as design and I will harden steel as necessary using oil or water hardening material. If I can find a diagram or several pictures of the correct tool I will "copy" it using measurements taken from the part I am trying to use the tool on.

Reactions: wwg1wga and BPS

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I understand that things often go wrong when using home made tools. that's why I was cautious about the torque I was applying the the bolt. My concern was breaking something on the flimsy clutch I figured the grade 8 bolt I was using was pretty sturdy. That said, when I finally got my hay baled and put away I was able to return to this project. Here are the pics The first is obviously what's left of a bearing with of course metal fragments and bearings rolling around in the case. The next is the gear case with fractures in six places. I don't know this may be why it wont move in either direction? Then finally this gizmo where I am pointing it has a spring in the hole but nothing else, Is there supposed to be something else?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

CanAmRancher1 I wish it had been the plastic tensioner it would have been a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I think you found at least part of your problem, probably all of it. If you don't have a service manual I suggest getting one. In addition, I think I've seen a couple of videos on YouTube of repairs to the transmission including disassembly and reassembly. Those videos may help you with what's broken, missing etc. I personally have no first hand knowledge of the internals of that transmission so unfortunately I can't answer your question.

It might be time to look into a good used transmission assembly rather than repairing yours. By the time you buy a gear case and other parts you may have spent as much as getting an entire used unit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for all your help. i will definitely be looking for a shop manual and begin searching for parts.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Then finally this gizmo where I am pointing it has a spring in the hole but nothing else, Is there supposed to be something else?
That's the lever system that operates turf mode. From the picture it looks as it should.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yah that really stinks. Unfortunately it looks like your turf mode assembly is cracked also. That looks expensive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Which one is the turf mode assembly? sorry I have been waiting on parts so I haven't been doing much with this right now. ordered the obvious broken parts, new bearings and seals and a new clutch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Its the planetary gear set the axles sit in. It is the one in your 2nd and last picture. Maybe it's just the picture but looks cracked.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok gotcha, yes it is cracked all the way around just that one piece without all the stuff inside it is around $300.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

The piece I originally thought was the outer race of the bearing that disintegrated turns out to be a piece of the transmission case. I didn't look at it that close until I started cleaning things up. Guess all the parts in the world won't help unless I can find a case. drats!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts