PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes make sure it is not clogged up. And on the throttle body intake boot look to see if it is cracked/busted anywhere
Update
Replaced both injectors today and it still won't run. I have got it to start at times and roughly idle but as soon as I try to give it gas, it dies.
Tried again to make it run by spraying gas into the intake and it will run strong doing this, So this should rule out timing and fire.
Looked at intake boot and did not see anything wrong with it.
Could it be the TPS even though I have no codes?
Check engine light is off. Engine spins at 400 rpm while I am cranking on it. Most times it won't start. If it does, it will only idle. I give it gas it dies.

Suggestions?
Did you spray carburetor cleaner around the intake boot when it was running and check the frame where the vent line goes into because the line may not be stopped up but the frame tube may be.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes make sure it is not clogged up. And on the throttle body intake boot look to see if it is cracked/busted anywhere

Did you spray carburetor cleaner around the intake boot when it was running and check the frame where the vent line goes into because the line may not be stopped up but the frame tube may be.
Did not spray cleaner around intake.... but I will try that tomorrow to see if changes anything.

I did pull the vent line out of the frame and I am able to blow air thru it. I don't think its clogged. Left the vent hose out of the frame when I was trying to get it to start. Didnt help

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Checked compression today just to see what it was. 110 on L side, 150 on R side.

I am still going down the path that this is a "fuel" issue because if I put fuel into the intake the motor runs. I checked the fuel pressure and replaced both Injectors. IF the injectors were not firing, then fuel would not be getting into the cylinder. To test this, I unplugged the injector at the harness and checked voltage between red/blue wire and ground. This reads 12.5V as I would expect. Then checked ohms between black wire pin and ECM pin 5. Reads .2 ohm, so no break in the wire. Next I put my test light between red/blue pin and black pin on the harness. When I spin the motor, the test light strobes. This tells me the ecm is pulsing the signal to fire the injector. IF fuel is at the injector and it fires, it should go into the cylinder and burn.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Update
I tested the new injectors in the engine by manually pulsing 12v to them. The engine ran doing this. It was rough, but it was running. With this, I was thinking that "something" was keeping the injectors from firing. So I pulled out all the wiring in the loom for the TPS, IAC and T-MAP sensor all the way back to the main harness. Where the wire had touched the inside of the loom, it rubbed thru the wire insulation. Several wires in this loom looked like a saw had been ran across them. I separated out the wires and just let them lay on top of the engine.. Now the engine starts and runs. :)

Now I just need to clean up the wiring issues. Polaris really needs to do a better job of protecting the wires inside the loom.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Otbpowersports.com

May have what you need.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Now I just need to clean up the wiring issues. Polaris really needs to do a better job of protecting the wires inside the loom.
Update:
I solved my wiring issues on the three sensors (TPS, IAC, T-MAP) by cutting out the old wires and splicing in new ones. Keys to making this work is:
1. Use the same gauge wire as OEM. They use 0.5 mm, which is the same as 22ga. Make the repair the same length as the original.
2. Solder the joints. Do a good job soldering them with just the right amount of heat/solder.
3. Use shrinkwrap to cover and wrap good before putting back in loom.

Many ppl say you can't do this and you have to replace the harness and or plugs. It can work if the plug itself is not also damaged. After I made this repair, I still had the 102 error. Since I knew the wiring was good I ordered a new T-MAP sensor. After I replaced that sensor, no more CEL and the motor has not had an issue since. Starts with just a bump of the key and runs great.

Thanks

21 - 28 of 28 Posts