PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 ranger crew diesel and rear driver axel started losing the bearings.
So after tire and hub and looking it at closer we noticed that rear gear case mounts have cracked .
Also the engine mounts need replacements.
For rear gear case is it difficult to just change housing? Or should I just pay the extra $$ and buy a complete replacement?

Attachments

·
Registered
890 Posts
With the proper tools and some mechanical know how the case replacement is not that difficult. It just depends on your abilities. It would definitely save a lot of money.

You could also look for a good used replacement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a manual that I could follow?
Also do you think the culprit of this happening is the engine mounts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well after looking at manual. It looks like a fairly straight procedure because I already have it removed. It’s just removing the inards of the old one and insert in the new housing.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
It may be that the case cracked because the rubber in the mounts no longer existed. That allowed the case to reach the extreme limits of travel and hit hard on the metal portion of the mounts. With no rubber cushion and movement beyond what the rubber mounts would have allowed stress was imparted to the case and it broke. My guess is that if the rubber mounts had been discovered to be bad early on the case would never have broken.

I disagree with the galvanic corrosion theory. Such corrosion usually take place where dissimilar metals contact each other. That break is in the middle of the aluminum casting and no signs of corrosion are visible around the steel bolts or where the aluminum mount contact the chassis. To me it looks just as an aluminum casting would look when it broke.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts