PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My name is Jose. I have recently purchased a 2012 ranger 500 crew. I am having trouble with something that has to do with the shifting or transmission. I think, It’s will no shift into or out of gear, it’s very hard to try to move the shifter. But when I removed the shifting cable from the transmission to inspect it seemed to be working just fine. It feels like I am stuck in a gear but the vehicle will not move at all or my dash will not display what gear I am in. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it thank you.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Hello,
My name is Jose. I have recently purchased a 2012 ranger 500 crew. I am having trouble with something that has to do with the shifting or transmission. I think, It’s will no shift into or out of gear, it’s very hard to try to move the shifter. But when I removed the shifting cable from the transmission to inspect it seemed to be working just fine. It feels like I am stuck in a gear but the vehicle will not move at all or my dash will not display what gear I am in. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it thank you.
Hi Jose, so it will not shift or is very hard to shift with the cable hooked up but when you removed the cable "it seemed to to be working just fine" That would be a bad shifter cable.

This is where things get a bit confusing . Are you saying that when operating the shift lever by hand that it will not move when it is in gear ? Errrrrrr like maybe the belt/clutch is bad/broken ??? The "shifter switch on the main gear case could be bad or not making connection . I would check that and clean it.
"It feels like I am stuck in a gear but the vehicle will not move at all or my dash will not display what gear I am in"

Jose, did you drive this Ranger before you bought it or did it come to you with the shifting/moving/no display problem ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I’ll try to explain it better.... when I operate the shifter by hand it will not move but when I disconnected the cable from the transmission it word just fine. But when I put the cable back on the transmission the vehicle will not change gear or move and the shifter feels stuck also the problem came with the vehicle when I bought it turns on just fine

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Sorry I’ll try to explain it better.... when I operate the shifter by hand it will not move but when I disconnected the cable from the transmission it word just fine. But when I put the cable back on the transmission the vehicle will not change gear or move and the shifter feels stuck also the problem came with the vehicle when I bought it turns on just fine
Jose, things are still a bit muddy, can you move the shfting tab ON THE GEARCASE by hand ? That is with the cable disconnected ? I am thinking probably NOT ..

" the problem came with the vehicle when I bought it turns on just fine"

"was it bad when you got it or not ? It turns on fine ??? You mean it starts fine ?

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
No worries Jose, dump the AGL fluid out of the gearcase (transaxle) and check for metal . At this point it could be bad fluid........no fluid or something bent in the internal shifting mechanism or a totally trashed gear box. Start with the fluid (Polaris AGL) dump it and see what it looks like and how much is in there. Let us know.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I dump the oil and there was nothing in it also there was a little trash on the drain plug so I put 2 quarts of AGL in it but nothing has changed is 2 quarts enough?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Jose, type "570, 900, 1000 hard to shift~~~~solved" into the search bar. It might be your problem.

·
Registered
523 Posts
So I dump the oil and there was nothing in it also there was a little trash on the drain plug so I put 2 quarts of AGL in it but nothing has changed is 2 quarts enough?
You're transmission holds about 34 ounces so two quarts is way too much. The plug on the back of the transmission is just the fill plug. On the right side is the drain plug and also the level check plug. You need to pull out the level check plug and let it drain until the fluid level is at the bottom of the hole. Try this link for your owners manual. 2012 Ranger 500 owners manual

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
So ..Jose ..how many ozs. did you drain out ? Did you look closely for metal flakes in the drained out fluid ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts