PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unit starts and runs great, however when I am traveling around 5 mph and on smooth flat or down hill grade it will hesitate until I get back closer to 10 mph then runs fine. If pulling trailer, driving in soft ground, going up grade of any kind or basically any slight load it doesn’t have the hesitation. Under 3 mph no issue.
has new throttle cable, have adjusted TPS and checked wires, cleaned TBAP. At a loss on what to check next.
thanks,

·
6,755 Posts
Scott , check the fuel pressure first ......... Has the TBAP harness ever been changed..?? If the answer is no........there is a big piece of your answer. The TPS harness may be compromised also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scott , check the fuel pressure first ......... Has the TBAP harness ever been changed..?? If the answer is no........there is a big piece of your answer. The TPS harness may be compromised also.
New fuel pump and I have ins a new TBAP harness, will try TPS next. Know some of the TPS plug is good because when I set TPS to correct setting it made a big difference in running but wort a try.
I also replaced drive beltand it needed that also. This is a new unit to me so I am learning. I did read to disconnect the battery for a while to reset TBAP so I am trying that now, will advise if that made any impact.
thank you for advise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New harnesses and no change, beginning to think problem may be in primary clutch since it only happens with no load on clutch/motor, thoughts?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I think you may be on the right track. How many miles?

The bushings in the primary may be getting shot...rollers on the spider....slider pucks on the spider or whopped out pins on your weights.

All could cause slight binding and be more noticeable down closer to engagement rpms.

Pull the cover off the primary and remove the spring and give it a good look.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you may be on the right track. How many miles?

The bushings in the primary may be getting shot...rollers on the spider....slider pucks on the spider or whopped out pins on your weights.

All could cause slight binding and be more noticeable down closer to engagement rpms.

Pull the cover off the primary and remove the spring and give it a good look.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for reply, the machine has 10k miles on it but is new to me so I don’t have history on it. When I first start it it tries to creep and never seems to completely disengage when at stop so pretty sure the clutch is worn, other than this minor issue it runs and idles great. One other possible symptom is it seems to take longer than what I think is normal to idle back down, this is my first Polaris so maybe this is normal.
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The creeping is most likely caused by a failing two wat bearing on your primary clutch. Part number 3514609.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Oooof. If you get 5000 miles on the clutches your doing good. 10000.....you've found your problem. The bearing for sure is toast as the creeping in gear indicates. Rollers in the secondary are probably gone also. Cheaper to buy new then have them rebuilt. Get you a service manual.

On the hanging idle....spray some carb cleaner around the intake and listen for any rpm change. Boot may be cracked or leaking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts