PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new 2012 Ranger 800 XP. Love the ride, love the way it looks, hate my hot passenger seat. After a little while riding with my buddy, (I was letting him drive because he knows the trails on his deer lease better than me), my butt about burnt up. The seat gets very hot on the passenger side and in the center. Im sure during the winter it will be real nice, but in the summer it is going to suck for whoever is riding in the passenger seat. Is there anything that can fix this heat issue? I called Polaris and they said “call your dealer.” Tried to call him, but he was busy. Going to stop by there after work.

The main things that I saw online to attempt to fix this issue were
1. Reflashing the ECU
2. Change the fuel mixture so it wasn’t as lean
3. Install a lot of heat reflective material under the seat
4. Add a fan system to push air away from under the seat
Anyone have experience with this that can tell me how they fixed the issue??? Kinda pissed right now that I bought a twelve thousand dollar passenger cooker.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Don't feel alone. Most everyone purchasing a new unit since the 09' models have experienced this problem and the factory hasn't done much in the way of listening. Go to the main page here, find the google search down the page, type in "hot seat" and you will find plenty on the subject.
Good luck.

Reactions: socal duckie

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I'm a lucky one ... mine gets a little warm sometimes but never hot at all...

I hope you can get that fixed!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went to the dealer after work. He had already contacted Polaris about the issue without seeing the Ranger. He told me to check and make sure that The exhaust heat cover was there And the heat shield was installed under the seat. I did and they are there. I did notice when I started looking at the ranger that the coolant level was low, so I filled it up. Not sure if that will make a difference or not. Going to Hopefully ride for an hour or so tomorrow And see if the passenger seat gets as hot.

J

·
0 Posts
James,
you can also install a silver windshield sun deflector on the bottom of your seat to help deflect the heat.

Doug

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
justducky said:
James,
you can also install a silver windshield sun deflector on the bottom of your seat to help deflect the heat.

Doug
Thanks for the tip Doug, I appreciate the response. Don't take my next comment as negative toward u.
I am going to let the dealership do that for me. I should not have to be Adding heat shields to a new ranger that I have not owned a week yet...lol.

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
ptysonjr said:
Don't feel alone. Most everyone purchasing a new unit since the 09' models have experienced this problem and the factory hasn't done much in the way of listening. Go to the main page here, find the google search down the page, type in "hot seat" and you will find plenty on the subject.
Good luck.
I would agree that there are a lot of the heat issues, but I wouldn't say most everyone has experienced this problem. Its kind of hit or miss, especially with the 2009 and 2010 models. I never had a heat issue with my 09, not in stock form or after I modded it. We have lots of members that dont have any issues, and we have quite a few that have. Its hard to understand why some do and some don't. The 2011-2012 models do have more heat issues with the new operating system. The machines are running too lean, as many have had success adjusting the TPS to give it a bit more fuel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gonna take a temperature gun with me tomorrow if I can find it. if we go ride I will see what the actual temperature of the seat is before the ride and in 15 minute intervals throughout the ride. Going to measure both the driver and passenger seat temp at each stop.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
The biggest problem I fought on my 2009 was the heat coming in at my feet and through the dash. Corrected it making it acceptable by installing the dash foam pad kit and DJ Fabs Footsaver. Yes, my seat gets warm, but it is bearable here in the southwest. I know if the TPS gets out wack where it is running too lean the area in question can be unbearable.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ran the ranger while monitoring seat temperature this evening.

Before ride.
Drivers Seat - 85.3* F
Passenger Seat - 85.1* F

15 min of riding. 3.5 miles
Drivers Seat - 86.8* F
Passenger Seat - 96.2* F

30 min of riding. 3.5 more miles
Drivers Seat - 90.4* F
Passenger Seat - 103.8* F

45 min of riding. approx 3.5 more miles
Drivers Seat - 92.5* F
Passenger Seat - 100.1* F

I realized after this last temperature reading that the surface temperature of the seat covering was not telling the true temperature of what the passenger felt while riding. I asked the passenger if it was hotter each time we stopped. The reply was yes each time. After the 45 min mark, the passenger said that his seat was no longer at a comfortable riding temperature level. He said that his butt was burning up. Especially the side closer to the exhaust. I then took temperature readings of the bar behind the seat and the temperature of the plastic under the seat. We figured that his butt was actually feeling more of the temperature of the plastic rather than just the temperature of the seat covering.

The bar behind the seat was 151.7*F. You could not hold your hand on this for any amount of time.

The plastic under the passenger seat was 202*F. This was too hot to touch and was probably more of the heat that the passenger was feeling.

The part of the seat underneath that had the heat reflective material was 164*F. Almost 40 degrees cooler!

These temperatures are probably not enough to melt the plastic under the seat, but are definately enough to make your passenger want to find another ride.

The reflective material definately helps. I would assume that if this material was placed under the passenger seat, the temperature for the passenger may not be exactly cool, but would definately be bearable to a certain extent.

The maintenance and technical polaris guy that manufactures the fans in Utah to dissepate heat of the motor toward the rear of his vehicle claimed that the fans caused the temperatures to decrease by about 40*. If this is true and you added reflective material under the passenger seat, the temperature would be around 165* and would drop to 125* under the seat with the fans. With the temperature readings that I measured, this would mean that the surface temperature of the seat covering would be very close to the temperature of the drivers seat and would produce a comfortable riding experience for the passenger.

The fan functioned as it should turning on at 204* F according to the temp guage on the instrument cluster. The temperature reading never read over 211*F.

I hope this helps.

I am going to forward these results of my testing to my dealer and see what he says.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
James the best way to fix your heat issues is to either have the ECM reprogrammed to add more fuel to richen up the mix or adjust the TPS which also adds more fuel to richen the mix. This will cool down your exhaust temps and fix the problem itself instead of just covering it up. Your dealer can do this if you can get them to. Sometimes it's new to them. :D

You really want to see something, drive around for thirty minutes and check the temperature of the exhaust pipe itself. :shock:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Or you can add a Power Commander V with Auto Tune and get the fuel set were you want it.

Reactions: redvett

·
Registered
141 Posts
Jet hot coating on the exhaust pipe helps a TON.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I stopped by the dealer yesterday. He said he had filed a claim with Polaris on the heat issue and had forwarded my message to them (the same one i posted on here). He said that he had not recieved a reply from Polaris. Surprised? No...haha. Not holding my breath. Looks like as with any issue with a Polaris product, I will have to fix it myself.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I called Polaris and they said that they needed the pictures so that they could diagnose the problem. They said to send the pictures to the dealer and he would send the pictures to them. I told them that I thought that was a bunch of crap and did not see where a picture of the temperature reading would help them diagnose the problem. I mean really? Why do they need a picture of a temperature reading to diagnose the problem? I did have all of the temperature readings from the gun recorded with pictures, so it was no big deal to send them to Polaris, but it made no sense as to why they really needed them when I had already sent them all of the temperature information.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts