PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently acquired a 2012 Ranger Crew 800 (EPS). It has a few issues mainly from the PO just not taking care of it and it has been sitting for a year or so. One of the main problems with it is play in the steering. I found the lower steering shaft has worn out u-joints (Item 38, 1823995). I thought that I could just replace the u-joints for a few bucks.... but NOPE! Polaris decided to make the u-joints non-serviceable and force you to buy their overpriced product. Now I have to replace the entire linkage at a tune of $200. What a total POS this is. The u-joints are stacked in place rather than using a c-clip. GARBAGE.

Line Font Parallel Auto part Engineering

Next item is the Parking Brake. It doesn't work because the pads are totally worn out. I ordered a new set of pads and after I got the caliper off, I see that the pads are also non-serviceable. Polaris now wants you to buy a complete caliper assembly (1911785) at around $120. I did a little searching and it appears that models built before 10/10/2011 have serviceable calipers (1911594). Now I am on the search for one of these used and I will just put in my new pads.
Whoever puts a non serviceable brake caliper on anything needs to be fired!

Automotive lighting Slope Automotive design Font Circuit component

·
Administrator
7,761 Posts
Agreed .......

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even more bad news. The lower steering shaft for my unit (built after 5/1/12) is part no 1823995. I could not find a used one and there is absolutely no way I am paying Polaris $200 for this crap. I am going to source a u-joint and press out the staked-in joint.

·
Administrator
7,761 Posts
Let us know Ranger if you can locate that ujoint ...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The closest thing I could find is a GMB 220-1538. This one has the dimensions of .591 x 1.512. A little shorter across, but they are available on ebay for $13/ea. I'm going to see if the local autoparts store can give me a different number, but I'm not too hopeful.

Here is an image of the u-joint.

Handwriting Font Jewellery Metal Gas

I have also found a GWB 473.10 which is a closer fit (.592 x 1.653), but I have not located a source for this one.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found this u-joint on ebay GMB 220-1538 (Item 372974882949) Ordered two of them and they fit perfectly. I pushed them in with my bench vise rather than banging in with a hammer. We will see how it holds up, but it should do fine.

Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
7,761 Posts
I found this u-joint on ebay GMB 220-1538 (Item 372974882949) Ordered two of them and they fit perfectly. I pushed them in with my bench vise rather than banging in with a hammer. We will see how it holds up, but it should do fine.

Hope this helps.
Thanks RangerRider !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts