PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My moms ranger had an intermittent problem last spring, brought it in for service and they couldn't find anything wrong after putting 25 miles on it. She put it away for summer, brought it out last week and the problem is worse.
After engine warms to operating temperature, (10 minutes) it goes into a limp mode, rough idle, engine won't rev over 1/2 throttle, but it you feather throttle, it will hit every so often. It reminds me of snowmobile running on 1 cylinder. Engine light flashes and I'm getting a 652 5 code. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Kelly

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Welcome to PRC! That code is; Fuel injector 2 (PTO) Driver circuit open / grounded. Check the wires to your injectors for a break, abrasion, or weak spot - can be tricky to spot!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you fswan, I took the plastic conduit off the pto wire and their are no abrasions or cuts from connector to connector, wires are tight in connectors. Upon checking wires yesterday, I found this had a T-Map wire replacement plug with crimps that fell apart in my hand. I soldered wires and heat shrinked, taped and tied up. I rode it hard for about 30 minutes in the hills, engine light came on, I started back home, machine ran good with light blinking, then it went into limp mode, 25 mph top speed. 652 5 code.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I unplug the injector wires and check for resistance between the 2 pairs of wires, won't this tell me that I have a broken wire?

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
I hope someone else chimes in - I've not worked on the injector connections before!
Fuelinjc.JPG
This is from the '11 800 service manual - yours is probably the same. There is a TON of EFI info in the service manual. You can get an instant download for your machine for $9.95 here:
2012 Polaris Ranger XP 800 EPS Service Manual PDF Download

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a factory manual that my folks bought, I'm sure they paid more than $9.95, but I will keep it in mind for future machines. I disconnected connectors from harness and measured 12 ohms. The manual says 80% of fuel injection problems are electrical! but I'm really keep thinking this is a fuel pump. even though I've been wrong before, my dad had a dodge Dakota, it was getting power to the pump but no fuel pumping, I replaced the pump, after it still had the problem, got my dodge mechanic friend over and he found a broken wire near the battery. I'm going to hook up a fuel pressure tester tomorrow, If I'm getting the correct resistance on injector wires when engine is hot and I lose fuel pressure, would it be a bad fuel pump? Caused from heat on the rail and at the tank? Or could it be a problem with the ECU?

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
It could be vapor locking (a somewhat common issue on the '11 and '12 800 engine), and/or the pump could be weak (pretty common for them to run okay when cold then get worse as it reaches full temp). Have you checked the fuel pressure?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vapor locking would make it hard to start, wouldn't it? I'm not having problems starting. I put a fuel pressure test gauge today, I had 43 psi rail pressure. it's a little cooler day, 73 degrees, and I had to ride for 40 minutes, the last 15 in deep sand in low before the CEL came on, 5 minutes after that It went into reduced power. My gauge read a consistent 38-43 psi, even after bleeding down. 652 5 code. Both injectors metered at 12 ohms cold, but 16 when hot, as it cooled down, the ohms came back down slowly to 12.
I read someone poured water on injector rail to cool, I tried that and rode another 20 minutes before the reduced power problem occurred again. I poured water on the rail again and the power was better, but the engine still sounded rough. Anyone have any ideas? Has anyone ever experienced heat issues with the ECU?

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Dirt in the injectors??? I doubt it's an ECU overheating problem (but I guess it could be...???) unless you've done something to restrict the airflow around it. May want to check the wires on the other sensors, and the ECU connectors - sometimes those codes don't reflect the actual problem. TPS and IAC wires are notorious for breaking inside the insulation making the breaks hard to find. If that isn't it, maybe it's time to start throwing parts at it!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Kelly, did you ever find a solution to your problem? I am having the same issue and I just ordered a fuel pump. It seems like if it was electrical it would happen all the time, not just under a load or after time.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
I’m having the same problem with my 2011 rzr 800 anyone find a solution?
Doob, WELCOME ! This thread is 3 years old . You need to start your own and give some background on your 800 Rzr.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My moms ranger had an intermittent problem last spring, brought it in for service and they couldn't find anything wrong after putting 25 miles on it. She put it away for summer, brought it out last week and the problem is worse.
After engine warms to operating temperature, (10 minutes) it goes into a limp mode, rough idle, engine won't rev over 1/2 throttle, but it you feather throttle, it will hit every so often. It reminds me of snowmobile running on 1 cylinder. Engine light flashes and I'm getting a 652 5 code. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Kelly
How do you get the codes?
have not been able to get a clear answer.

Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts