PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 6x6 with 25 hours. My problem is that when going up a hill on the flat road in high gear the trans will jump out of high and will start grinding. I was going about 20 mph and giving hard throttle and climbing. Stopped and put it back in high and kept going. Any thoughts?

Craig

·
Registered
482 Posts
Do you have a service manual? There's a procedure for checking and/or adjusting the shift linkage, that's where I'd start.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Definitely start by checking the cable adjustment. You might get lucky and that is the only problem, but most of the time once that happens, damage has been done to the shift dogs. I hope you have an extended warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Yes I did buy the manual on cd and did buy a 3 year no deductible extended warranty. I will check the linkage and if that doesn't do the trick then off to the repair shop.

Craig

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Adjustment
NOTE: The shift cable should be adjusted at the rear adjustment point located near the transmission. If adjustment is needed beyond that, remove the dash panel to access the shift cable adjustment point located underneath the shift lever.
1.Place gear selector in neutral. Make sure the transmission bell crank is engaged in the neutral position detents.
2.Locate the shift cable adjustment point attached to the frame in front of the transmission.

3.With two open-end wrenches loosen the outside jam nut counterclockwise. Turn the outside jam nut 1 1/2 turns

4.After turning the outside jam nut 1 1/2 turns. Hold the outside jam nut with a wrench and tighten the inside jam nut clockwise, until it is tight against the bracket.
5.Repeat Step 3 and Step 4 until the proper adjustment is made for the transmission cable.
6.Use this procedure to loosen or tighten the shift linkage cable as needed.

Question does the "bell crank" have marks for rev, neutral, lo and high?

Craig

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Question does the "bell crank" have marks for rev, neutral, lo and high? Craig
No, but you'll feel a positive click from the detent when it goes into another gear selection. That's probably the simplest way to check the tranny problem......just leave the shift cable unhooked and put it in and out of gear with the tranny lever (what they are calling the "bell crank"). If it still slips out of gear with the cable unhooked, then the cable adjustment isn't the issue and there's damage to the shift dog on the high range gear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took my ranger to the dealer for service. In talking to the service guy he seems to think I am operating too slow in H gear. At what speed do you think I should use low or high? Service guy said 80% of the time I should be in low.
Craig

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm in low probably 90% of the time, I usually only run high when cruising at 17+ mph.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
I took my ranger to the dealer for service. In talking to the service guy he seems to think I am operating too slow in H gear. At what speed do you think I should use low or high? Service guy said 80% of the time I should be in low.
Craig
That can cause a belt issue, but has absolutely nothing to do with it slipping out of gear. If that's his diagnosis, I would take it to another dealer. I hate to be derogatory, but he has no idea what he is talking about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts