PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my machine started idling high a while back and it has gotten progressively worse. Now, I have to turn it off to shift gears. After researching this "common" issue and talking to a couple of Polaris mechanics, I checked the wiring harness around the throttle body for breaks in the insulation. This included all three pigtails from the main harness to the TPS and TMAP sensors and the ISC stepping motor. I removed all of the tape on these pigtails and found five different areas where there insulation was worn and there was exposed copper wire. I repaired all of these areas and rewrapped all of the wires. I checked the rubber adapter between the throttle body and intake for cracks and none were found. I ran the engine and sprayed carburetor cleaner around the adapter and intake to check for possible leaks and none were found. While running the engine, I shook the harness around, pulled on the individual wires where they enter each of the three connectors and there was no change in the idle speed to indicate a bad connection. The engine still starts cold and idles from 1400 to 1750 RPMS. I noticed that as it sits and idles, it gets progressively higher. As the engine warms up, the idle will go up to about 2200 RPMS. Out of frustration, I unplugged the connection to the TPS and started the engine. It sat there and idled at 1200 - 1250 RPMS........like its supposed to!

Could it be a bad TPS? I'd like to replace it but I'm not familiar with the proper way to adjust it without a specialized tool. Is there a way to adjust it with only a multimeter? Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
7,400 Posts
Kajun, you can't repair those harness's and expect those sensors to work properly. You need to match up the IAC harness with one from OTB... Probably this one but match up the plug with yours as they have more than one.. Idle Air Control Motor Wiring Repair Harness

Then change out the TPS & TMAP sensor harness's.. I expect that the IAC harness is the cause of the high idle but the other ones are bad as well ..

Some symptoms of a bad Idle air control motor wiring harness are engine will not stay idling, idle will be too high or to low. Engine will die when letting off the gas.

You can wrap tape around around "bad spots" on Polaris harness's all day long and never get it right. Many have tried..

Reactions: Kajun1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kajun, you can't repair those harness's and expect those sensors to work properly. You need to match up the IAC harness with one from OTB... Probably this one but match up the plug with yours as they have more than one.. Idle Air Control Motor Wiring Repair Harness

Then change out the TPS & TMAP sensor harness's.. I expect that the IAC harness is the cause of the high idle but the other ones are bad as well ..

Some symptoms of a bad Idle air control motor wiring harness are engine will not stay idling, idle will be too high or to low. Engine will die when letting off the gas.

You can wrap tape around around "bad spots" on Polaris harness's all day long and never get it right. Many have tried..
Thanks for the info Jungleman! I'll get those harnesses ordered from OTB tomorrow!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ran into Christmas and just got all three pigtails replaced this week. Fired it up and it’s still idling high. After searching through the forum for answers, I’m going to pull the throttle body and make sure the bore / butterfly are both clean enough to close off completely. I’d then like to check the TPS voltage but haven’t been able to find the base setting and the setting at WOT for the 2013 800. Would someone happen to have this info handy?

·
Administrator
7,400 Posts
Kajun, make sure the throttle cable is adjusted properly so that there is a 1/16" inch of slack before the throttle will start to open with the foot or the idle will run high especially after the engine gets hot..... but yes, the TB needs to be clean so the plate can close..

Here is the TPS setting and everything you need to know for less that 10 bucks.. 2013 Polaris Ranger CREW 800 Service Manual PDF Download

·
Administrator
7,400 Posts
PS........as far as I know, there is NO BASE SETTING for a TPS AFTER 2008. 2009 and after the TPS is positioned on whatever spec TPS setting is given by Polaris and NO FLOW adjustment is allowed.. Not real familiar with the 2013 800 but all that information will be in the pdf..service manual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts