PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem started when cruising home. Stopped at gate, when I hit the gas it stalled and died. Got it cranked again and if I slowly accelerate it would run fine, Too sharp on the throttle it cuts out and then can run when I let off. Idles fine, runs pretty good. Just cant step on it. I checked voltage of wire to TPS it was 3.3 V. I went ahead and stripped back the white tape a good ways didn't see any major rubs, Found a few spots exposed on white and green wire. I put black tape wiggled around cant seem to make it cut out. Could it be weak fuel pressure some how? I got new wires for fuel injectors and replaced one, but both cylinders are firing so just spending money before i figured out it was TPS fault and not injectors. One check engine code 51 4 stands for low voltage TPS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I could add that in neutral can rev all the way up. I ordered the pigtail to splice the wires back and see if I can get code to go away, maybe a broken or weak wire under the insulation wrap I cant see.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
If it will rev in neutral but not when driving you may a a clutch problem. That can occur when the secondary clutch will not open.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it will rev in neutral but not when driving you may a a clutch problem. That can occur when the secondary clutch will not open.
I can drive up from start to 35 MPH but I just can't jam it. I have big tires and a lift so that's about my top speed. Even moderate throttle press it will gain rpm and speed but when I ask for it quick it acts like its stalling. If I keep throttle pressed would die, but I let off and it will recover and keep running and going.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can drive up from start to 35 MPH but I just can't jam it. I have big tires and a lift so that's about my top speed. Even moderate throttle press it will gain rpm and speed but when I ask for it quick it acts like its stalling. If I keep throttle pressed would die, but I let off and it will recover and keep running and going.
I would definitely be checking the fuel pressure. 58 +/-3 psi.
I would definitely be checking the fuel pressure. 58 +/-3 psi.
I didn't have a pressure gauge handy, My bike is fairly old, so I just bought a new fuel pump assembly, it will have a new filter. Should be here today. I'll swap it and see if the stalling gets better stops. If that doesn't work, I might go way back on the TPS wires, were they meet the big cord and run three new right to the new pigtail I ordered, to rule out a break in that part of the wires. I'm guessing low voltage means the middle wire is not sending a high enough voltage signal back to the ECU from the TPS. I have 3.3V at the connector. I don't have the special tool to test the TPS, nor do I want to mess with getting a new one and getting another tool to set it. TPS is a real PIA to set from what I understand.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Since you don't have a fuel pressure gauge and cannot check the output pressure of the new pump I suggest looking at the regulator on the new one. Depending on the brand it may have the pressure printed on the side of the regulator. If so, it should read 400kpa. I've ordered pumps before that arrived with the wrong regulator in them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can I pull the TPS sensor off clean it and put it back on with having to recalibrate? or just taking it off I'll have to recalibrate?
Since you don't have a fuel pressure gauge and cannot check the output pressure of the new pump I suggest looking at the regulator on the new one. Depending on the brand it may have the pressure printed on the side of the regulator. If so, it should read 400kpa. I've ordered pumps before that arrived with the wrong regulator in them.
Put the new pump in, same results. Can do about 25% throttle and it will speed up. If I change the peddle abruptly it stalls. like the TPS is closing the plates. doesn't die. but a noticeable stall. I cut the tape off until the main harness found a few nicked spots, put electrical tape on them spliced one broken looking spot. Took negative side of battery off for awhile to try and reset the check engine light.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
The TPS is not the type of sensor that can be or requires cleaning. Also, it doesn't move the throttle plate, the throttle plate shaft moves the TPS. I really think you have a wire harness problem somewhere under that seat. One or more sensors are being affected.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The TPS is not the type of sensor that can be or requires cleaning. Also, it doesn't move the throttle plate, the throttle plate shaft moves the TPS. I really think you have a wire harness problem somewhere under that seat. One or more sensors are being affected.
The pigtail should be here tomorrow, I'll get some wire a try and splice it as far back as I can with fresh wire and use new pigtail and see if that fixes it. I guess if that doesn't help maybe order new TPS and the TPS tool to set it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got pigtail spliced and put it on. No change. Got new tps sensor plugged into that one. Light turned off. Just worried about pulling old one off. My service manual just said take to dealer. Does 2013 self learn or I’ll need to adjust it with a tps tool or a I can do it with a multi meter or hand adjust?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tried to install new TPS yesterday was part number 3131705 seemed like it was two big, there was a orange O ring on the old one as well. I must need the .87 inch one, I order the smaller one. I had marked the old one before I took it off, cleaned it with electrical connector spray and put back on and mounted to the marks I made, light turned off and working now, so wires must be ok and sensor is just acting up. We get new one in and keep riding on this one until it comes back on....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts