PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've put out other threads but am suspicious if this is my problem. After significant damage from over heating, is "Engine protection ignition misfire" is what they call what happens after high engine temp problems. Any way problem fixed but still in limp mode. Anyone know how to reset?
Tnx,
J

·
Registered
162 Posts
Any codes showing?
Year and model?
What did you do to fix the overheating issue?
What was the cause?
Hours and mileage?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply
No codes, 2013 Ranger 800, VIN 4XATH7EA9D2294015,
Initially Replaced impeller, mech seal, temp sensor and thermostat. Then noticed pressure build up in radiator which would push coolant out of overflow cap but overheating problem gone. Ended up replacing top end (Cylinders, pistons, rings, head milled and head gasket) maybe not all was needed but had the time and wanted to do it only once)
Cause? Highly suspect head gasket.
Hours = ?
mileage= 3995
I'm curious if once the engine goes into the "engine protection ignition misfire" mode,The manual says it puts the engine in this mode in an excess overheat situation but it does not say how to get it out of this mode.
Any assistance would be great.
J

·
Registered
162 Posts
Try driving it in low for at least 3 minutes at no less than 20 mph.
Turn it off, then restart it drive it in high as usual, and see if that does it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yup, checked. It has a distinctive different lope. I even disconnected to see if it cleared but no luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just tried running in Low but it won't go over 4000 rpm before it lopes back down in rpms. Speed is just over 10mph.
Feels like spark shuts down then back on not like lack of fuel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, but have pulled it, cleaned it and checked sensor wire. Appears to be working at least on idle speeds. Does the CPS have a tendency to go bad? I can mimic its operation by pulling it out, pulling spark plugs out turn ignition on, running a piece of steel close to the CPS and watch for spark. Does that sound right? Anyway, if the CPS is notorious for going bad, I can order one up.

·
Registered
162 Posts
IMO the sensor AND plug in from the harness have a tendency to go bad. 800's have other harness issues as well. T-BAP, TPS in particular. I don't know about mimicking the CPS function with a piece of wire, never tried that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the sensor uses a magnet in it. So the steel just mimics the crank going by the sensor. I'll look for a replacement.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Have you tried removing both terminals from the battery for 15 minutes or so? I'm assuming you have since you did an upper end on the motor.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Disconnected battery. pulled CPS. tested resistance 590 and spec is 460 +- 10% so ok. Then went to wire diagram for CPS and followed the white and black wires from CPS connector to identified pin on on ECM. They checked out. That was an eye strain. ? Back to the drawing board...... Don't give up on me, I would stand on my head if I thought it would help. (Runs fine at an idle)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just tested Camshaft phase Sensor. The only test is voltage with key on. Yup its there.. It's 5 o clock here so time for a regroup refreshment

1 - 20 of 23 Posts