PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ranger has 360 mile on it and developed a noise in the exhaust area. I have the screen removed from the end of the tail pipe but what has happened is the spot welds for the muffler case have cracked and when under heavy load it has an exhaust leak there. My machine is in mint condition and is in a heated garage so it is not a rust issue or anything like that. I have the Polaris extended warranty but would it be better to just purchase a smaller aftermarket muffler assy. and move on?

·
Super Moderator
6,840 Posts
I would exercise my extended warranty.
The new replacement muffler will come with the full exhaust shield.

I would want to maintain the quietness of the 900, as well as the power. The 900 needs the back pressure to maintain its low end power, you could have a power loss and increase the noise level of your unit by installing an aftermarket muffler.

Todd at HunterWorks, in a previous post stated, he has seen some low end power loss/ no gains due to aftermarket mufflers on the 900. And according to him they have a dyno in house they have tested on.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Use the warranty while you can.:glee::encouragement:

Reactions: JJaxon

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ill sell u my stock muffler cheap as I can with shipping

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pat, What exhaust did you put on yours and what condition is your stock unit in. I am leaving for West Virginia Tuesday night and the exhaust will not arrive until Wednesday if I go through the dealer.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just found out the the Polaris extended warranty will not cover the exhaust so I will most likely go aftermarket. What are the thoughts on HMF and their fuel controller?

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
I've had a couple of HMF pipes on quads and they were LOUD. Not sure if their pipes for a SXS are any different, but I outgrew the loud pipe stage a long time ago.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did some research and talked to HMF and they assure me there is 1 decibel difference in the swamp series and stock. I order it and the fuel controller to see how they do so I guess I will be the test dummy. They will be here tomorrow and installed tomorrow night.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Why wasnt it covered under warranty

·
Registered
546 Posts
Let us know how the fuel controller and the exhaust does. Be nice to have a video to hear it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The dealer called the extended warranty company and the contract states they will not cover exhaust if it is rusted and blued from heat. Where they get you is the contract states ect.....at the end of that sentence and when the dealer explained it was a broken weld the customer service rep from the warranty company stated they do not cover exhaust for any reason. As with most extended warranty companies, they will do whatever it takes to not pay. I have contacted Polaris but they usually will not help.

This is my 4th Ranger but I can tell you it will be my last one. I will buy and build a Jeep next time. I keep my machine in mint condition and this was disappointing.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK...the exhaust and the fuel controller are on and I must say I am happy. Although it doesn't run like a 1000 it will now spin the 28 inch Roctanes from a stand still. The noise level is not more but it is different. It has a deep tone to it and really isn't any louder than the stock unit. Took 30 minutes to install the fuel controller and the exhaust. The only thing I wish they would of sent is an exhaust donut gasket since mine is a little worn from the original exhaust. I couldn't do a before and after since my stock exhaust sounds like crap.

It is very little power gain but it is noticeable especially in the torque and low range. This is not a huge HP gain but for me it works.

·
Registered
188 Posts
What about Bikeman slip on muffler anyone have any luck with them any gain on HP?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I know this is an old thread - but wondering how the HMF is holding up for you TAZMAN10. Has the sound level stayed the same after getting some time and miles?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So far I have had no issues with the controller or the exhaust and it has a great tone. It has not rusted or changed color much. It will turn just a little darker than it comes but very acceptable.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks, seems like the quietest aftermarket exhaust available nice to know they hold up well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts