PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my 2014 800 crew with eps made a loud pop and now the steering wheel just spins. I've read about stripped splines on the lower u joint in earlier models. on my 2014 i can't see the pinion shaft to see if its spinning with the u joint or not . so how do i tell if rack is bad or u joint spines are stripped?

So i just went out and looked at my rack which i took out thinking it was bad, the issue i found with the rack is where the rack moves in and out of the housing on the drivers side it has a lot of slack(I mean a LOT) that seems to imply some bushing has worn completely away???? Is this the problem or am i looking at it wrong?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
You pulled the cap with the spring and bushing that holds it tight against the worm gear. Its going to slip around like that without it in place

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Billy, my crystal balz are saying .........".it is safe to say that your rack and pinion is done..."

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Billy, my crystal balz are saying .........".it is safe to say that your rack and pinion is done..."
A distinct possibility. That's not to say that splines never are the cause, but if the clamps on splines are properly tightened splines are pretty reliable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You pulled the cap with the spring and bushing that holds it tight against the worm gear. Its going to slip around like that without it in place
Is the blue plastic bushing looking piece supposed to stay in the housing somehow? it moves freely up and down the rack now. but even if i push it back in to the housing and put the pinion back in with the collar screwed back on, the rack still has a significant amount of slop on the drivers end. The passenger end is built differently housing wise and is pretty tight.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im beginng to think my issue is with the splines on the lower end of steering shaft. i took it out today and they seem worn down on the outer half of the lower yolk.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Oh yeah.........no good...no mo.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are some photos of the spines in the lower u joint of my lower steering shaft , it almost seems as though the u joint wasn't all the way on the pinion shaft (the outermost spines are definitely worn down/smoothed)?? Sooo im wondering if i need a new shaft and a new rack or could it be that i just needed to fully seat and really tighten the bolt keeping lower u joint on the pinion shaft in the first place??

Items Shared on ‎9‎-‎23‎-‎2020

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Here are some photos of the spines in the lower u joint of my lower steering shaft , it almost seems as though the u joint wasn't all the way on the pinion shaft (the outermost spines are definitely worn down/smoothed)?? Sooo im wondering if i need a new shaft and a new rack or could it be that i just needed to fully seat and really tighten the bolt keeping lower u joint on the pinion shaft in the first place??

Items Shared on ‎9‎-‎23‎-‎2020
Billy, after seeing the previous photos I would say you need a lower steering shaft AND a new rack & pinion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks jungle man for your responses they’re very helpful I’ll keep you up-to-date once I get it fixed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts