PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First week saw lots of small bucks but nothing to shoot. Finally killed a decent 8 point second week at lease #2.

001size.jpg

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
nicer buck T&S congrats

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is a good one. I haven't seen one like that lately.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
tsextocs2014 947.JPG couple of our bucks T&S

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
368 Posts
This is something I've always been amazed with, I've always hunted Mulies never White Tails. My question is, point count. How come WT hunters always refer to point count as the total of both sides, when all the hunters I've been around it's a 4 point, 4 on each side is a 4 point not a 8 point. Is it a western thing? This might stir something up, Whats your take?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
You got it bro. Out west, for deer, it's usually the highest point count. Example: a 4/3 is a "4 point". And, the eye guards aren't counted.:glee::encouragement:

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Yeap, it's an east/west thing. I prefer the total point count.......what if you shot a buck that had 3 on one side but 4 on the other? We'd call that a 7 point....what would you guys consider it?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I know hunters who take both mule deer and white tails and refer to the point count differently for each.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Yeap, it's an east/west thing. I prefer the total point count.......what if you shot a buck that had 3 on one side but 4 on the other? We'd call that a 7 point....what would you guys consider it?
That would be a 4 point, assuming you aren't counting the eye guards in the 7 points. Elk are a different story. Most folks I know call an elk with 6 points on one side and five on the other, a 6/5.:glee::encouragement:

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Yeah, elk are the exception for me. I still refer to them as a 5 by 5 or 6 by 5, etc......

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Never have understood western thinking, how can a deer with 10 points be a 5 point. If it were to ram you it would make 10 holes.
Out west, we try to get out of the way, so only end up with half the holes as the easterners.:glee::encouragement:

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
That's some funny stuff. I guess you westerners are faster than us eastern guys.:playful:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
That's some funny stuff. I guess you westerners are faster than us eastern guys.:playful:
Nah, were not faster, but it's illegal to bait deer here, so we're not stuck in those blinds next to the food plots when the deer charge, so we have more room to maneuver.:glee::encouragement:

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
.....but it's illegal to bait deer here, so we're not stuck in those blinds......
Baiting isn't legal here either.....and the only time I hunt from a blind is when I take the kids (who can't be still or quiet:monkey:). I'm a treestand hunter myself.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts