PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2014 Stock Ranger 900 that has grinding noise only when going over bumps.
Example: like going down over curb like bump, when rear end drops down there is a grinding noise that sounds like metal gear type noise.
Only there for as long as rear end drops down and goes away when rear end comes back up.
Any help or ideas???
No tire rub or anything leaking or loose.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Since it seems to be related to suspension travel, my guess would be a bad CV joint. Is it stock or is there a lift on it?

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
When the suspension nears full drop, it's possible that the CV is grinding. It shouldn't be binding up without a lift, so I'd speculate it could be a bad CV.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Don't know if this could apply in your situation but: I just bought a 2015 Ranger Crew 900 EPS and had a similar noise. Barely noticeable on hard surfaced roads, off road it drove me crazy. It was a pretty constant grinding, metal-on-metal sound that appeared to come from somewhere near the front suspension, getting louder the more the shocks were compressed. I could even feel something making contact by putting my hand on the cage upright. It appeared to be resonating from the lower frame. Turned out to be an issue with the ROPS cage when they bolted it together. One of the crossbars overhead was a little off when they tightened it down. And the cage components were shifting with the flexing of the Crew on the trail. They loosened up the cage, let it settle, and bolted it back together again. Problem solved. Good luck with yours. Bill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts