PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s $1000 at Gregory Polaris in AR every time it back fires and cracks the plastic plenum. Then continue to backfire running at half throttle.
This was my retirement gift I bought for myself at 31 years as a LR firefighter after having a massive heart attack at a fire and had to retire.
The second time they said the fuel pump was a couple psi weak and was causing it.
I pulled it out let it idle for 20 or so minutes and my son called with the grandkids 3, 8 and 10 chumming in. So I turned it off.
Went to start it after a couple of hours and the sonic boom AGAIN.
I rarely say a cuss word but before the echo was gone a SOB came out. Glad nobody was around.
I use only none ethanol gas. Ran fine a couple weeks ago as I helped a buddy for four or five hours winch his four wheeler bridge back in place.
I have way to much money in this to sell it but it’s obvious the Polaris dealership I purchased new from don’t know what is causing this. I thought I had made it a year without it back firing. Well I did make it a year and a half. I have lost faith in my Ranger. In my health condition I don’t need the virus or this major expense about every year.
Any Ideas.
I decked it out new-to $25,000 and it’s all I could ask for when it runs. The heater for grandkids Armour tech enclosure raised and big tires. Well the Polaris radio only worked a year. It was never wired right because when I turned the LED front light the power dropped to where only static could be heard.
So this was a one shot and haft to eat it if someone can’t help the dealership out what’s wrong with. Help please.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
My ideas:
I would use regular gasoline like Polaris says to use from a reputable high volume dealer and treat it with stabil or some other good stabilizer. First tank I would run a good dose of fuel system cleaner like SeaFoam, Startron, super concentrated Techron, etc.
I would replace the intake boots between the plenum and the head.
I would check the injectors to make sure they are working correctly.
I would check the valve clearance to make sure it is within spec.
I would check the fuel pressure and make sure it is within spec.
I would replace the spark plugs.
I would make sure the gas tank vent isn't plugged.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always use marine stabil and a little seafoam each fill up trying to eliminate the gas as the problem.

Thanks for the info.

I don’t joyride only hunt with it and most miles are on a gravel road to where I turn back to the Saline River. Granted it’s very muddy that 1/2 mile as wet as it has been but I just putt putt wanting it to last my lifetime. Sounds like the dealership is not checking everything. I even paid $300 for them to check every thing out on a deal they were offering last time it back fired and cracked the plenum.
sounds like another expensive trip to get it fixed.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Possible causes:
Anything that can cause a lean condition: partially plugged injector(s), low fuel pressure, plugged tank vent, obstructed fuel line, vapor lock (low fuel pressure), air leakage into the intake.
Ignition timing too far advanced: Bad ECU, problem with flywheel position (sheared key, defective CPS, Loose or damaged Encoder Ring), Bad spark plug, spark plug heat range too high (preignition), overheating (preignition)
Intake Valve Problem: Sticking intake valve (stick open momentarily), weak valve spring(s), loose cam chain/bad hydraulic tensioner (should be noisy) causing erratic valve timing

Per Polaris Service Manual:
Backfiring
• Fouled spark plug or incorrect plug or plug gap
• Exhaust system air leaks
• Valve sticking
• Ignition system faulty:
• Spark plug cap cracked / broken
• Ignition coil faulty
• Ignition or kill switch circuit faulty
• Poor connections in ignition system
• Ignition timing incorrect
• Sheared flywheel key

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
This is only the second time i recall hearing about this happening. One thing i would check right away are the intake boots where they attach to the motor. The 900's had a problem with leaking there. Just start it up and spray carb cleaner around the boots and listen for a change in rpms. If rpms change, they're leaking.

Also, i would seriously consider calling Terry Gilloman at Gilloman Inovations and have your ecu reflashed. NOT for the advertised performance increase! But he has been straightening out polaris sensitive ecu parameters for quite a while now. You'll end up with a less lean running machine and a cooler running motor.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I second calling Terry even just for some troubleshooting advice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just saw your question.
No in Arkansas. I am calling one of the moderators - Greg tomorrow. We talked back when this happened and he was super knowledgeable and even stated they make a metal plenum. I hope he will be able to trace the problem down.
This was a tremendous commitment of revenue and this is perhaps the worst buy in my almost 65 years. Never had this many problems with anything I purchased. It all seemed to start when the dealer installed a silent muffler on it. Never had a problem till the engine started clanking very loudly. The mechanic that worked on it stated he had called all over talking to other mechanics and came to the conclusion the muffler was creating to muck back pressure. He also said they were having some intake boot problems and he was installing the new new boot design. Something was never right apparently with the new engine or it’s install apparently.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Silent muffler, please.....
I did help on the sound. Due to a massive heart attack and congestive heart failure I need to ride pretty close to my hunting stand with out spooking the deer. It is noticeable when the muffler was on. On my Yamaha Big Bear it has a loud thump even going very slow. With the quite muffler my hunting buddy see me coming now before he hears me which is around 70 or so yards.
He has a big bear as well and you can hear his 200 yards or so with no wind.
The mechanic started he would not put it back on with the new engine installation after calling all over to other mechanics.
I wished the dealership had researched the muffler before putting it on when I purchased the 900xp new. That would of saved the dealership my insurance deductible and my insurance around $4500 and labor. Yes the less noise is worth it but not at engine damage.
I used to park and walk some distance but I am not able to now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you in Kansas, Doug??
Are you in Kansas, Doug??
I just saw your question.
No in Arkansas. I am calling one of the moderators - Greg tomorrow. We talked back when this happened and he was super knowledgeable and even stated they make a metal plenum. I hope he will be able to trace the problem down.
This was a tremendous commitment of revenue and this is perhaps the worst buy in my almost 65 years. Never had this many problems with anything I purchased. It all seemed to start when the dealer installed a silent muffler on it. Never had a problem till the engine started clanking very loudly. The mechanic that worked on it stated he had called all over talking to other mechanics and came to the conclusion the muffler was creating to muck back pressure. He also said they were having some intake boot problems and he was installing the new new boot design. Something was never right apparently with the new engine or it’s install apparently

1 - 11 of 11 Posts