PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2014 rzr 1000 with 3 to 5 inch bracket lift and 32.5 ol2's. it is tons of fun and powerful. I have a friend that wants to buy the rzr from me and if I sale it then the only thing I would replace it with is a ranger crew 900 xp and it would be lifted with 34" superior traction. I live in Louisiana so hills and tight trails are not a problem. we basically have all flat land and mud down here. if anyone has owned both or knows any one that has had both that can give me some feedback, please let me know. I just don't want to sale the rzr and then end up regretting it. I know both are fun and its always fun to have a crew riding with you. speed is not an issue. the fastest we go on the rides is about 10-20 mph anyway.

thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey if you are on mostly short rides and 20mph, you will probably like the crew. I am blessed to have an 800 crew and a 900 razor i love them both I use the crew alot around my acreage cause I'm in and out alot picking rocks etc. but when I feel a need for speed the razor satifies quite well :encouragement:

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have owned both...

2014 RZR 1000 XP4

2015 Ranger 900 Crew

I absolutely LOVED the speed & power of the RZR, and it was by far more fun to ride in the sense of just opening it up & letting it rip. However, that is where it stops being better than the Ranger for me. The Ranger fits my life & needs better. We bought a farm about 5 months after getting the RZR, and the Ranger is so much nicer out here for doing stuff. Plus it is still a blast to ride. I do wish that I had never owned that RZR as I have a point of reference about how fast these things can be. I am constantly remembering that power from RZR and wishing that I had in in my Ranger. However, owning both, I would still pick the Ranger as it is a much better blend of features that I *NEED*, and I am not sure that running 85 mph is a *NEED*.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently bought a 2015 Ranger crew 900. I love it and have buyers remorse at the same time haha. I have both a kubota and and ranger 700 on our farm. It's a pretty large farm with 4 or 5 employees. I bought the crew because we have 2 kids with plans for another so I wanted the seating of 6. But it will not get used for work at all. The other machines are for that. 2 reason I have some buyers remorse. First is speed. I don't need or want to go 80. But 60 plus with a windshield on would be nice. Second is I love the 1/4 doors that come on the Razr! One question I have for people that have both. With a windshield on is the Razr 4 better on gravel roads for dust? Or do they act the same as the crew? So I'm torn. Love the crew wish it went a little faster. I question that maybe I should have gone with Razr 4 and put after market bench seat in it. Let me know what you guys think!

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
As far as the dust goes, the RZR will be a little better.....especially if you run a rear windshield. Dust doesn't bother me at all unless we are following somebody........and it that situation, NOTHING is going to help.

As far as plans for a 3rd child......I have added a rear middle seat (instead of the bench) to my '12 RZR4XP and it has worked great for several years, but my youngest (about to turn 7) is about to outgrow it. It starts getting crowded for 3 wide once they start reaching teen age size, but it will be good for several years........and having the youngest in the middle (between the other siblings) offers some additional protection from braches and briars (etc....). If you have other Rangers for the farm work, there's no doubt that the RZR has more fun factor. But if you want comfortable seating for 6 adults, the Crew is the way to go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Appreciate the feed back. Lots of road driving for us. Have been avoiding more gravel roads that I would like. The dust likes to enter right into the second seat where the kiddos are. Still playing with front windshield to try and help. So with your Razr you can have front windshield closed and not have dust funnel around sides into second seat when going down a gravel road?

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
.......So with your Razr you can have front windshield closed and not have dust funnel around sides into second seat when going down a gravel road?
Very little, as long as you have a rear shield and doors. The bed on the Ranger causes a vortex that makes the dust problem much worse than a RZR.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I did not have the dust issues on my RZR that I have on my Ranger--I think that I was because I was always going too fast for the dust to settle on in the RZR!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would add that I did have serious mud issues on the RZR that I don't have on the Ranger. The wheels stick out so much outside of the RZR that they fling mud.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
I would add that I did have serious mud issues on the RZR that I don't have on the Ranger. The wheels stick out so much outside of the RZR that they fling mud.
I agree that is a bigger issue on the RZR than with the Ranger, but a set of extended fender flares from Mud Buster (or make your own) along with a set of doors eliminates that problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So in your opinion since you have had both which machine would be better for gravel road travel? That's what I am a little bummed about. I thought I would be able to crack front windshield open and not deal with dust on the inside. Only way I can go down gravel is if I have windshield all the way open and then I am dealing with all the wind which is less than ideal with the kiddos. Would I get by with front windshield partially open and a back windshield on a Razr and not deal with dust?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts