PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 977 miles and about 100 hours on my 2014 XP-900 EPS. It began making a lot of noise when descending hills, then I noticed in those rare occasions when I was in High, that the belt slipped once or twice (I ride in low below 15 MPH). I mostly ride trails and no deep mud or water. I also noticed some "chatter" when taking off in low. I called the dealer and they advised to change the belt. I had a spare and changed it. The old belt looked fine and there was no signs of water or dirt in the belt box. I did notice the belt came off easily and when I rotated the secondary clutch it sounded like there was something in there like a loose spring or something. I should have known this was not normal, but not knowing, I just continued with the belt change. Breaking in the belt, things got worse so I took it in to the dealer. They found the secondary clutch (the driven clutch) was destroyed. The pins and parts on the clutch were falling out and the guides in the sheaves were damaged. A secondary clutch from Polaris was quoted at $589! Ouch. I talked them down to $515. I was surprised to find my extended warranty does not cover clutches as they consider this a "wear" item. The dealer said they see very few secondary clutches fail. Usually they only fail if a hot clutch suddenly saw water and cracked. That was not my case.

I seriously thought about an after market clutch, but was advised not to do this by the dealer. If for example my tranny went out, the rep from the warranty would visit the repair shop because this would exceed a $1000 threshold. If they found an after market part, they likely would not cover under warranty. In addition, I could not decide about an after market clutch. Some posts say it turns the Ranger into a pure work machine.

I learned that extended warranties are not worth the cost as not much is covered and if it is, the provider can argue their way out of it.

My questions is this. What was I doing wrong that could destroy my secondary clutch? The dealer said that my full cab might be adding extra weight. I don't buy this theory. This Ranger can haul 1000lbs in the bed. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Rangers are geared too high, period. Add in weight, tires and terrain and you find belt slippage. The factory clutching is garbage.

I have a factory secondary in perfect shape if you need, even a factory spring to go with.

·
Vendor
2,121 Posts
I have 977 miles and about 100 hours on my 2014 XP-900 EPS. It began making a lot of noise when descending hills, then I noticed in those rare occasions when I was in High, that the belt slipped once or twice (I ride in low below 15 MPH). I mostly ride trails and no deep mud or water. I also noticed some "chatter" when taking off in low. I called the dealer and they advised to change the belt. I had a spare and changed it. The old belt looked fine and there was no signs of water or dirt in the belt box. I did notice the belt came off easily and when I rotated the secondary clutch it sounded like there was something in there like a loose spring or something. I should have known this was not normal, but not knowing, I just continued with the belt change. Breaking in the belt, things got worse so I took it in to the dealer. They found the secondary clutch (the driven clutch) was destroyed. The pins and parts on the clutch were falling out and the guides in the sheaves were damaged. A secondary clutch from Polaris was quoted at $589! Ouch. I talked them down to $515. I was surprised to find my extended warranty does not cover clutches as they consider this a "wear" item. The dealer said they see very few secondary clutches fail. Usually they only fail if a hot clutch suddenly saw water and cracked. That was not my case.

I seriously thought about an after market clutch, but was advised not to do this by the dealer. If for example my tranny went out, the rep from the warranty would visit the repair shop because this would exceed a $1000 threshold. If they found an after market part, they likely would not cover under warranty. In addition, I could not decide about an after market clutch. Some posts say it turns the Ranger into a pure work machine.

I learned that extended warranties are not worth the cost as not much is covered and if it is, the provider can argue their way out of it.

My questions is this. What was I doing wrong that could destroy my secondary clutch? The dealer said that my full cab might be adding extra weight. I don't buy this theory. This Ranger can haul 1000lbs in the bed. Your thoughts?
The good news is the "aftermarket" clutch we sell and use is the same one from a EBS model Ranger but less money made by same people, same clutch etc. Also even the Duraclutch system is sold by Polaris dealers therefore neither will void the warranty

Todd

·
Registered
186 Posts
The good news is the "aftermarket" clutch we sell and use is the same one from a EBS model Ranger but less money made by same people, same clutch etc. Also even the Duraclutch system is sold by Polaris dealers therefore neither will void the warranty

Todd
I'm not sure that's entirely correct. Just because a dealer installs a duraclutch, doesn't make it covered under warranty. Polaris factory does not install them, and Polaris has never covered clutches under warranty. They are a wear item like brake pads. Neither have any of the aftermarket warranty companies. I've seen warranty claims on the new RZR1k denied for a bad voltage regulator because someone had after market high clearance tie rods on it.

To the OP, you are in a tough spot there. Going aftermarket could bite you later. But the Team tied secondary that comes on the EBS equipped Rangers is an OEM part and should be no problem if installed on your machine. Unfortunately, Team Aftermarket is still closed till who knows when so you can't purchase them right now anyway.

·
Administrator
6,360 Posts
Reactions: bluesbass and TG-OK

·
Registered
228 Posts
Clutches are a wear item but they shouldnt
grenade themselves. When something breaks
in there and destroys it self.
that should be covered.
bushings wearing out or a broken spring
thats wear.
dealer could deny warrenty if you didnt
have them service it.
I have to take mine in once a year now.
another 225$ plus fliuds just to keep something
I already paid for.

·
Vendor
2,121 Posts
I'm not sure that's entirely correct. Just because a dealer installs a duraclutch, doesn't make it covered under warranty. Polaris factory does not install them, and Polaris has never covered clutches under warranty. They are a wear item like brake pads. Neither have any of the aftermarket warranty companies. I've seen warranty claims on the new RZR1k denied for a bad voltage regulator because someone had after market high clearance tie rods on it.

To the OP, you are in a tough spot there. Going aftermarket could bite you later. But the Team tied secondary that comes on the EBS equipped Rangers is an OEM part and should be no problem if installed on your machine. Unfortunately, Team Aftermarket is still closed till who knows when so you can't purchase them right now anyway.
TEam is not closed, aftermarket division has been sold, I buy from the new company but yes these secondary's are on backorder until sept or so.

I found a stash elsewhere I have been able to buy two at a time, just not sure how long that will last. I will continue to buy them until they are gone or they stop me from buying them.

And I didn't mean the Duraclutch would be covered by Polaris, I was saying the vehicle would not be void because all Polaris dealers can sell it, just most don't know what it is.

Todd

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TEam is not closed, aftermarket division has been sold, I buy from the new company but yes these secondary's are on backorder until sept or so.

I found a stash elsewhere I have been able to buy two at a time, just not sure how long that will last. I will continue to buy them until they are gone or they stop me from buying them.

And I didn't mean the Duraclutch would be covered by Polaris, I was saying the vehicle would not be void because all Polaris dealers can sell it, just most don't know what it is.

Todd
I decided to purchase a different secondary than the stock one. Something about doing the same thing and expecting different results just seems insane I guess, so I had Todd at Hunterworks hook me up with a heavier secondary. It's the one Team Industries supplies Polaris for the Browning edition. I am actually going to allow the dealer to install it since the machine is already there and immobile, and I figure if there are any future warrany issues, that might help. Can you believe they are charging me a $90 restocking fee for the other secondary they ordered? The Polaris part would likely be on the machine already, but instead of ordering a secondary, they ordered the primary. I don't have to pay for that mistake, just my late indecision to do something else. I will consider this when I buy my next machine and may go someplace else. Anyway, that delay gave me time to absorb the forums advice and reconsider. Thanks everyone. I will let you know how it all turns out once I'm riding again. - Jason

·
Registered
15,399 Posts
You will be amazed at how much better the new secondary is going to perform. I love driving our machine more and more every time I drive it since installing the upgraded secondary.

Reactions: bluesbass

·
Registered
186 Posts

Todd
I very clearly stated Team aftermarket in my post. Not Team. I too purchase from them directly and will through Venom when available. And, the duraclutch could most certainly void an engine warranty, as could the QSC aftermarket primary, or an STM or CV tech. It really comes down to the dealer and the info they are giving to the warranty company. Any aftermarket part you put on that is on when even a remotely related failure happens, will not be covered by a warranty claim. You throw a rod in your motor or lose compression from lack of filter maintenance and they pop the clutch cover off, see an aftermarket primary clutch on it and send a picture of it to the warranty company, boom- denied claim. The clutch could have been out of balance, put undo stress on the crank shaft, etc. etc. etc..... Anything they can find to deny a claim. I see it EVERY day now and did for 3 years as a Polaris Tech.

Rajucajuns, yes the Team Tied is the secondary that the factory installs with all the Rangers and RZRs and most ATVs that have EBS.

·
Vendor
2,121 Posts
I very clearly stated Team aftermarket in my post. Not Team. I too purchase from them directly and will through Venom when available. And, the duraclutch could most certainly void an engine warranty, as could the QSC aftermarket primary, or an STM or CV tech. It really comes down to the dealer and the info they are giving to the warranty company. Any aftermarket part you put on that is on when even a remotely related failure happens, will not be covered by a warranty claim. You throw a rod in your motor or lose compression from lack of filter maintenance and they pop the clutch cover off, see an aftermarket primary clutch on it and send a picture of it to the warranty company, boom- denied claim. The clutch could have been out of balance, put undo stress on the crank shaft, etc. etc. etc..... Anything they can find to deny a claim. I see it EVERY day now and did for 3 years as a Polaris Tech.

Rajucajuns, yes the Team Tied is the secondary that the factory installs with all the Rangers and RZRs and most ATVs that have EBS.
I don't know what you know and when i said Team I meant Team Aftermarket. You said you had no idea how long they would be closed and I was just stating that they are not coming back and just closed aftermarket has been sold.

But you are right about what people do to deny warranty

I was saying that if it had the team clutch which polaris sells too or a duraclutch which polaris sells was on there I don't see how they could deny a claim is all

Todd

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the 14 browning also, and would like to know, like rajincajuns, If I need to upgrade the springs, what would be the cost and is it hard to do this work yourself ( I try and do most of my own repairs).

1 - 20 of 54 Posts