PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing head gasket. Can somone that has a service manual give me the torque on the head bolts.

A SM would be nice but not dice so far on that.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Do a search on this site for "digital service manual". They are available as a download for about $10. I'm pretty sure someone has previously posted a link to where to get one. Failing that, do a Bing or Google search for "polaris service manual pdf". I found one for free at a parts and accessory seller a while back, unfortunately I can't remember who it was.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Found a 2014 570 sportsman SM.9 They both use the same head assembly, head bolts and head gasket. The torque that is in this SM is a little different, so now I am not sure what it should be.
Would hate to break one of the new bolts or worse.

·
Registered
613 Posts
The copy and paste the RR1 posted is correct. However, the service manual has two completely different torque procedures depending on what color cylinder head bolts you have, black or silver. The above procedure is for the black bolts. That being said, of all of the 570 top ends I've done, I've never seen the silver bolts.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@BPS

I know that you said that the torque I posted above is correct.... but will you verify that the angle for the final step is 135°... and not 180°. There seems to be some conflicting information floating around on the innerweb.

Thanks

·
Registered
613 Posts
The service manual states 135 degrees. I've used that exact torque procedure on seven 570s and have never had a failure. Also, I have always installed new head bolts and oiled the threads and washers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts