PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2015 back in October. Took it to hunting property for work weekend Oct 10 and put about 80 miles on it so right around 100 total miles. A couple of times before that weekend it had small backfires when starting right after I stopped and then started it again. I got on it this past Friday for the first time since that weekend and it was way low on gas but when I turned the key it turned over maybe twice and bam! a huge backfire. It blew the throttle body out of both hoses/adapters to the head. I got some gas charged battery (it was dead) and started to crank it again and it sounded weird because throttle body was out of the hoses which I hadn't noticed. Got a buddy to turn it over while I looked under bed to see if I could determine why it sounded weird. While he was cranking a fire ball shot out of the gap between throttle body and hoses and there was a small fire inside one hose/adapter. Blew it out in seconds. Checked inside hose and they were smooth, no noticeable damage. I put the throttle body back on hoses and she fired right up and idled/ran fine. However, it did have another small backfire later after I stopped for a minute or two and then restarted. Looking for any input on this.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Straight to the dealer, even if warrenty is up, something is wrong and it will get worse. Had a ZTR mower 18hp that started doing that occassionally. Eventually would not start. Valve blew into and cracked the head. $$$$.

If it doesn't sound normal, don't hesitate.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. You guys are right, I brought it back from the farm and took it straight to the dealer. I was afraid to ride the thing after the fireworks. Dealer said he hasn't heard of the happening on a 900. So if anyone has seen it that would be nice to know. I have seen so many people on here help out their dealer service department make a repair with all the experiences of the members.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
happened to mine at about 200 miles, the clamps where to tight and the rubber hose that entered the engine ripped

I would suggest just getting new hoses and clamps to be safe. "which is what the dealership will be doing"
What happened specifically? Backfiring, fire? My hoses did not rip the back fire just blew the throttle body out of them.

·
Special Advisor
1,480 Posts
Dealers have a funny way of "Never hearing that happen"..I've seen that statement so many times.

Reactions: fswan

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had one of the boots tear on mine too. Dealer replaced both boots. A couple months later I was Turkey hunting & my bike would surge going downhill. Got back to camp & it was making a slight popping noise. Took it back to the dealer & the boots were leaking. They replaced both again. No problems since but keeping a close eye on it. Dealer couldn't explain why it was doing it let alone twice.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
I've seen it happen on older models, but it was mainly due to the rubber cracking with age.......but the same symptoms of popping and backfiring. That's a good indication of running lean and thus a potential air leak. Same can happen on the downstream side if the header cracks near the head.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Mine started with just a backfire at startup every once and a while, and then my machine started ideling fast to compensate for lack of oxygen due to the cut. after it warmed up it was ok though and then the next day there was a BIG backfire when I started it up as both hoses ripped open and I shut it down fast.

it was burping little puffs of fire out of the hose when me and my coworkers tried to figure out what was happening.

then just took it to the dealership, they fixed it, and I've put 3000 miles on it sense :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got off the phone with Service Mgr and they can't duplicate the backfiring. So I guess I will go pick it up. At least it's documented that something happened and they couldn't diagnose it. I have to admit I am a little spooked about starting it now. Also asked them to check on the clunking sound I have heard since day one when in high, sounds like it's coming from front/under floorboard area. Said that was "the transmission loading up" and that all 900's do that. Well my 2013 didn't but maybe it's nothing.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Just got off the phone with Service Mgr and they can't duplicate the backfiring. So I guess I will go pick it up. At least it's documented that something happened and they couldn't diagnose it. I have to admit I am a little spooked about starting it now. Also asked them to check on the clunking sound I have heard since day one when in high, sounds like it's coming from front/under floorboard area. Said that was "the transmission loading up" and that all 900's do that. Well my 2013 didn't but maybe it's nothing.
You might want to check the front driveshaft to make sure there isn't some play in it that's causing it to bang the crossmember.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You might want to check the front driveshaft to make sure there isn't some play in it that's causing it to bang the crossmember.
If there is what should I tell them is required to fix it? I am assuming at this point I will have to drive anything they do. If it's worn a hole in the frame I think I will get "all Rangers do that." He made the transmission comment and when I said my other Ranger didn't do it he said the 900's have a new style transmission, to which I replied my 2013 didn't do it, same transmission. I could tell he didn't expect that.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I have found the front drive is noise is pretty common on the Ranger 900. I have checked mine over a lot and can't seem to find any issues with it. It is the nature of this beast! My 2009 Ranger XP front drive line doesn't cause any noise like my 900 does right out of the box.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Ditto on what Ken said above. Some front diff' noise is normal on the 900 (my 900 RZR does the same thing), but it's not a "clunking" sound......it's more of a vibration, and it only happens (on mine) when the front diff is engaged.

Does yours do this clunking all of the time or only when in AWD?

Their comment of "transmission is loading up" is a load of crap. It never ceases to amaze me what some dealers will tell their customers. I think that some of them just really don't have a clue how Polaris' demand drive system works.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am sure it happens when in turf mode which is where I spend 99% of time on it and it's only in high and seems to lessen, or I can't hear it, as I pick up speed. I will have to try it in all drive modes and pay more attention in low. He called back a little while ago and still not able to duplicate. He said they put almost an hour on it, sounds like most of it was sitting and idling.

I know... When he said that it was very frustrating but I am trying not to get irritated as that will not help my position. Downside of having a warranty is having to deal with the dealer. This is my 3rd Ranger, 800xp and two 900xp LE/EPS. Plus I worked in a Honda shop and have always repaired my own ATV's, mowers, cars, etc so I am not clueless when it comes to these things. EFI is new to me though. I think they just instantly assume every customer knows nothing about their machine so they can tell them anything.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I picked it up Friday with them telling me nothing was wrong but now the service wrench is flashing, don't know what that's about, which I didn't notice until I hauled 3 hours back to the farm. When I dropped it off Service Mgr made a deal about "once we get it on the rack and drop all the skid plates and stuff and start looking at everything we will figure it out." Well they didn't touch a single skid plate. Far as I can tell they touched it very little. Hasn't backfired again but waiting on it. Plus I noticed this sucking sound when you hit the throttle quickly and sometimes when I rev it higher it just goes dead. It is a loud sucking sound at the driver's vent, makes the frog skin move.

·
Super Moderator
6,841 Posts
So I picked it up Friday with them telling me nothing was wrong but now the service wrench is flashing, don't know what that's about, which I didn't notice until I hauled 3 hours back to the farm. When I dropped it off Service Mgr made a deal about "once we get it on the rack and drop all the skid plates and stuff and start looking at everything we will figure it out." Well they didn't touch a single skid plate. Far as I can tell they touched it very little. Hasn't backfired again but waiting on it. Plus I noticed this sucking sound when you hit the throttle quickly and sometimes when I rev it higher it just goes dead. It is a loud sucking sound at the driver's vent, makes the frog skin move.
Check the air intake system completely, start to finish. When the 900 Ranger came out, Polaris installed a cap plug in the air intake/clutch (for storage/shipping), this was supposed to be removed during the roll cage installation and assembly of the clutch and engine intakes prior to delivery.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Check the air intake system completely, start to finish. When the 900 Ranger came out, Polaris installed a cap plug in the air intake/clutch (for storage/shipping), this was supposed to be removed during the roll cage installation and assembly of the clutch and engine intakes prior to delivery.
Thanks for the tip!! I looked over everything but could you point me to where exactly the plug would be?

·
Super Moderator
6,841 Posts
Thanks for the tip!! I looked over everything but could you point me to where exactly the plug would be?
The plugs cover the clutch intake behind the center of the seat and the engine intake behind the driver seat. When the units are shipped in the crates, the roll cage assy is not attached, therefore the side intakes (frogskin) are not assembled, until the dealer puts the roll cage on the Ranger. So the area behind the seats are open, they plug/cover them to keep debris out.
It could have fell/pushed down into the intake tube.
This is a long shot, but I thought I would put it out there.

The reason for my comment is your description of the unit going dead and the sucking noise, sounds like an air restriction.

Is there a clear film partially blocking the frogskins breath ability outside/inside?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts