PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to add a Super ATV 2 inch lift with Big Horns 27x9x12 front and 27x12x12 rear on my new Mid Size EPS (2 inch taller and 1 inch wider than stock). I assume that is a good combo but I want to make sure before placing my order. I've run about the same set-up on my 'ole '05 Ranger XP for 10 years and still like it.

I only have 60 miles on my new rig and am very impressed other than bottoming out way too easily. Thanks

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
someone with a mid size will chime in soon I'm sure.
26x12x12 big horn should work on rear?
26x9x 12 might rub the strut or tie rod with out wheel spacers.

your 25x8x12 are closer to 24x7x12
most tires i have seen are 1"shorter than stated on tire except the big horns.26" are little over 27" and 27" are a little over 28"

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
I know that 26" Bighorns will work. Mike is right that the 27" Bighorns used to measure 28 1/4" when aired to 14 psi.......that is the combo that I ran on my '06 XP for years. But I think Maxxis may have changed their sizing because I've seen several reports from people in the last couple of years that indicate they are much closer to 27" (maybe 27.5"???) now. Back then ('06), they did not offer the Bighorn in a 28", so I think Maxxis may have created a new mold for the 27", and are now using the old 27" mold (which is actually 28") to badge them as a 28" tire. Hope that makes sense......although it still doesn't answer your question.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a high lifter 2" lift. Mudlite 27x9 on front 27x12 on rear. I have 2" wheel spacers and no forward a-arms. My front tires rub fender well on a sharp turn. But not enough for me to worry about. And I don't run steering stops (that I am sure I will regret one of these days).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
6,360 Posts
I have a high lifter 2" lift. Mudlite 27x9 on front 27x12 on rear. I have 2" wheel spacers and no forward a-arms. My front tires rub fender well on a sharp turn. But not enough for me to worry about. And I don't run steering stops (that I am sure I will regret one of these days).
John, if you step down to 1" spacers, it will probably cure your rubbing problem, or at least reduce it. 2" spacers (or any spacer for that matter) push your wheels out an additional 2" which also increases the turning arc of your wheels causing them to more likely rub on your wheel wells. If you really the space to clear your steering, even a 1 1/2" will help!

·
Registered
891 Posts
I can tell you that my 26" bighorns measure just a shade under 27 1/2" and don't rub at all but they are pretty close...No lift, no forward arms! This being said, I can't image the 27's would clear even with the lift, without adding forward arms! The tire will rub the fender behind the wheel before it rubs the fender above the wheel.
Also, I went with 14" rims to eliminate any contact with the tierods.

Cheers

·
Registered
891 Posts
Redrock, took a second look at your post and realized that my info may not be as much help as I originally thought since your mid is a 2015 and mine is a 2014...There is a definite difference in the front end design so yours may have a bit more clearance.

Cheers

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies. Still not sure what I'm gonna go with.

Btw, I'm surprised to see my 2005 era signature photos still active on here. It's been a while. !

·
Registered
129 Posts
John, if you step down to 1" spacers, it will probably cure your rubbing problem, or at least reduce it. 2" spacers (or any spacer for that matter) push your wheels out an additional 2" which also increases the turning arc of your wheels causing them to more likely rub on your wheel wells. If you really the space to clear your steering, even a 1 1/2" will help!
Yes sir I've been told that. I just haven't done it yet. 2" spacers were highlighter recommended. At the time I was setting my ranger up I was studying this forum. Lol. But now before I do anything on it I check PRC out first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm running 27 x10 mudlite XL all the way around with a 2in highlifter on front and back on a 2014, no problems or spacers.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have 2015 570 Midsize. Am running 26X9X14 on front and 26X11X14 rear on MSA 7X14 wheels. No lift. They work very well, no rubbing anywhere... They actually ride better than stock....Good luck with you choice

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for the replies although everyone is running different set ups. I think/hope my combo will work. I ordered the Super ATV 2in lift and Maxxis Big Horns 26x9x12 and 26x12x12. I compromised on the tires in hopes of not needing spacers or forward A-arms.

I'll report back once installed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts