PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a part # for the under dash speaker enclosures, or can you even buy them separately yet? I have been back and forth on whether to install the OEM Polaris radio kit or just the dash speakers and an amp. I could also install the Polaris USB and MP3 dash plug for inputs.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I'm sure it is going to be a dealer only accessory part for the time being. I would look at the Polaris site in the Ranger Accessory catalog.

Cheers

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was afraid of that - I didn't know if the 2015 dash was a total redisgn or the enclosures would be the same as another Ranger. Looks like I might have to make some out of wood (they would probably sound better than plastic anyway!). I am going to the Polaris dealer today to pick up some bolts to secure my under bed mud guards, so I will ask them then to be sure.

I missed the deal on the Polaris radio system, so I guess I will be going with building my own system. I found a nifty 800w amp (although the reviews say it is more like 140w) with volume (gain) control switch and a dash mounted 3.5mm plug for your ipod. Belkin makes a Bluetooth module to make it wireless. Add to this 2 custom wood under dash speaker enclosures and 6.5" marine speakers - maybe 2 PVC cap or custom built enclosure overhead speakers later on. When the dash bezel becomes available from Polaris for the 2015, I may add an Infinity stereo to the amp.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I have decided that my local Yamaha/Polaris dealer parts dept is incompetent. I took a self tapping metal screw from the under bed exhaust heat shield on my Ranger to them and told them where it came from - told him I needed about a dozen of them. It just so happens that this screw is the same as used on many other Polaris vehicles for the past 10 yrs. He looked through the parts books and couldn't find it. I told him it is the same screw used on the fender flares for a 2003 Magnum - couldn't find it. Took it to the service dept - no dice! I gave up and told him I would just get them at Home Depot. Then I asked about the speaker enclosures. He looked in the accessories catalog and said he couldn't get it if it wasn't in there - I guess it wouldn't be in the parts catalog? Anyway, I told him thanks anyway and went to Home Depot - bought 16 sheet metal screws and washers for $6 (I'm sure if he would've found the screw, they would've been $2/ea). I guess I will be fabbing some speaker enclosures out of wood next week when I get off of work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK, I have decided that my local Yamaha/Polaris dealer parts dept is incompetent. I took a self tapping metal screw from the under bed exhaust heat shield on my Ranger to them and told them where it came from - told him I needed about a dozen of them. It just so happens that this screw is the same as used on many other Polaris vehicles for the past 10 yrs. He looked through the parts books and couldn't find it. I told him it is the same screw used on the fender flares for a 2003 Magnum - couldn't find it. Took it to the service dept - no dice! I gave up and told him I would just get them at Home Depot. Then I asked about the speaker enclosures. He looked in the accessories catalog and said he couldn't get it if it wasn't in there - I guess it wouldn't be in the parts catalog? Anyway, I told him thanks anyway and went to Home Depot - bought 16 sheet metal screws and washers for $6 (I'm sure if he would've found the screw, they would've been $2/ea). I guess I will be fabbing some speaker enclosures out of wood next week when I get off of work.
Did you end up building the speaker enclosures? Getting ready to work on a stereo for mine. Not sure which route I want to take. Either try to do a factory type setup (but probably with an infinity head unit) or piece something together myself. Probox is coming out their tops for the 2015 midsize next week and I'm considering that route as well.

Any thoughts based on your experience thus far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I built my speaker enclosures out of 2 small pieces of ½" plywood for the sides and then boxed them in with a thin piece of abs for the speaker to mount to. I already had a pair of 5 ¼" speakers (not marine - will replace with marine grade when these quit on me. They have been laying around for years, might as well use them!). I used the screw bosses already marked in the speaker locations on the outside, but had to drill small holes to attach the plywood sides, if that makes sense. I stuffed the boxes with foam for better sound. I bought a CHEAP 800w (more like 100w) amp off eBay and wired the speakers to it. Mounted the amp on top of the glove box (had to drill 4 small holes). I drilled a hole in the box where the factory stereo mounts to run my mp3 player cable through. The amp came with a gain control, but I didn't install it because you pretty much have it turned all the way up all of the time anyway, or you can use your mp3 player volume control if needed.

2015 Ranger 570 mid

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot - it sounds OK. A GOOD amp and some 6½ or 6x9 speakers added on the other 2 channels would be GREAT! When Polaris releases the factory dash mounting plate for sale, I am planning on buying one and installing the Infinity stereo also and hook it up to the amp. What I have will suffice for now, as I just need SOMETHING out on the trails (not earbuds) - I am not an audiophile, so it doesn't have to be the best system in the world.

2015 Ranger 570 mid

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, I built my speaker enclosures out of 2 small pieces of ½" plywood for the sides and then boxed them in with a thin piece of abs for the speaker to mount to. I already had a pair of 5 ¼" speakers (not marine - will replace with marine grade when these quit on me. They have been laying around for years, might as well use them!). I used the screw bosses already marked in the speaker locations on the outside, but had to drill small holes to attach the plywood sides, if that makes sense. I stuffed the boxes with foam for better sound. I bought a CHEAP 800w (more like 100w) amp off eBay and wired the speakers to it. Mounted the amp on top of the glove box (had to drill 4 small holes). I drilled a hole in the box where the factory stereo mounts to run my mp3 player cable through. The amp came with a gain control, but I didn't install it because you pretty much have it turned all the way up all of the time anyway, or you can use your mp3 player volume control if needed.

2015 Ranger 570 mid
So are you currently running the MP3 cable straight to the amp? No radio/Bluetooth etc? Got any pictures of how it turned out? Are your speaker boxes mounted where the factory ones would be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, the amp I bought had an input for the mp3 cable (it actually came with the cable), so I just plug it in. You can buy a Bluetooth adapter from Belkin, which I might do so that I can keep the player (my phone) in my pocket instead of the glove box. I have a few pics, but I will have to upload them when I get home. Yes, I mounted them in the factory spots - actually used a couple of the factory screw bosses on the outside edges of the boxes.

2015 Ranger 570 mid

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the only one I have. I can take a close up when I get home. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper

2015 Ranger 570 mid

Reactions: confederatecanadian

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's one of the amp install. I'm going to have to do something about protecting it from splashes, although it has survived a LOT of mud already and still playing! Vehicle Transport Bumper Automotive exterior Car

2015 Ranger 570 mid

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These are the best I could get in my dark shop. Cardboard templates are a must! I used a scroll saw to cut the compound miters and make fine adjustments. It still isn't perfect, but it works.
Glass
Audio equipment Sport venue Subwoofer
Automotive lighting Headlamp Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part

2015 Ranger 570 mid

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.