PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

Been a while and purchased a 2015 Ranger Crew 900, in the middle of installing my Outkast 3" lift w/ 2" forward a-arms and with the shocks reinstalled the axles appear to be binding at full drop. I am still using the stock axles and from what I've read haven't been an issue. I've read some bracket lifts having issues but not the Outkast lifts.

I had to relocate the upper shock mount to the outer most position to even get them to go on. I can remove the lower shock bolt and lift the a-arm assembly slightly and the axles spin freely. I still have to put the rear together tomorrow so I haven't been able to drive it to see if the suspension settles out.

I'm afraid that even when I do if the front has to articulate much the axles will bind up. Since the kit didn"t come with directions any help would be appreaciated.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Looks like limiter straps might be in your future...

You can get a good 4 layer strap for about $25-$30 each...

You can use the inner hole on top to bolt on the strap and use the same lower shock bolt for the bottom....generally it is recommended to not use the shock bolts for straps but you can use a longer bolt with some spacers to keep the strap from rubbing your shocks...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would Rhino axles solve the problem?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Would Rhino axles solve the problem?
Yes, I had the same problem. I road mine like that for a while and actually thought my front end was engaging. Come to find out it was binding up and making them spin. I put Rhino's in the front and all is well now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys

Went ahead and ordered Rhinos for front and rear. Will post some pics after the install.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So if I i stall the limit straps could I run stock axles or is this not always a problem? I'm picking up my new xp Hunter edition next week. I ordered the outkast forward arms and bracket lift already. Also have ordered 29.5 terms and a roof and windshield. I have no problem changing axles later but wife may kill me if I buy anything else right now. Lol. Any help or advice would be great!! Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went ahead and ordered Rhino axles all the way around. Installed them in the front because the factory axles bound up at full drop, the Rhino's do not. As for the rear the factory axles didn't bind up so I've left them in until they break and then I'll use the Rhino axles.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
So, I just put a 3" Outkast on my 2015 900 Crew, and all 4 corners bind when on the jack with the wheels off of the ground as I was installing it. When the tires are on it & it is on the ground, they do not bind, but it is just a matter of time that one of them breaks while out riding, so I have ordered 18" limiting straps for the front & 20" limiting straps for the rear. I am going to try the straps first & then go with the axles.

·
Registered
426 Posts
So, I just put a 3" Outkast on my 2015 900 Crew, and all 4 corners bind when on the jack with the wheels off of the ground as I was installing it. When the tires are on it & it is on the ground, they do not bind, but it is just a matter of time that one of them breaks while out riding, so I have ordered 18" limiting straps for the front & 20" limiting straps for the rear. I am going to try the straps first & then go with the axles.
Puckett- How did the limit straps work out for you? I'll be installing a Super ATV 3" lift when Fed Ex drops it off at my door in a few days. Are you happy with the length of the 18" and 20"?

·
Registered
152 Posts
@jathomas437, I've been so nuts with work, that I have not taken the time to install--yet. Plus I am thinking about going ahead & ordering Rhinos & just do it all at the same time.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
The axles on my 800 would bind on full droop so I installed limit straps and really like them. Although I have since went to Rhinos up front (for other reasons) I kept the limit straps on since I like the little extra protection and since I removed my sway bar the limit straps really help to prevent excessive sway at speed in turns. The link in my signature will take you to the ones I run and are very good quality and the cheapest I found, just $18 a pair! Note that you will need to measure to figure out what length you need for your machine. 16" works perfect on my 800.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Looks Great Man. Whats the chances you know the height of the machine now to the roof? I want to do just what you have done but not sure it will clear the garage door opening.....
I went ahead and ordered Rhino axles all the way around. Installed them in the front because the factory axles bound up at full drop, the Rhino's do not. As for the rear the factory axles didn't bind up so I've left them in until they break and then I'll use the Rhino axles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's about 78" at the highest point. I have a standard garage and it's about ~83" which give about 5" clearance. I was concerned also but fits with no issues.

·
Registered
764 Posts
....and since I removed my sway bar the limit straps really help to prevent excessive sway at speed in turns..
Perhaps I'm missing something, but how do limit straps prevent sway like a sway bar?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Your suspension cannot extend on the inside side in a turn as much as it could without them. The factory sway bar was only on the rear too while I have limit straps on all four wheels now. I will say the new shocks I have was the biggest factor in eliminating sway for me but each thing I did made it better than stock. First was the lift, tires and limit straps, far better than stock but sway still there, just more controllable. Sway bar broke on a ride next....completely unnoticeable to me until I actually saw it was broken. Then I replaced the factory shocks with the Elkas and WOW, I can't make it sway or feel top heavy now. If i think about it sometime I will take the limit straps off and take it for a ride and see how it feels just for comparison sake. All I can say for sure now is that I do not have a sway bar and do not need or want one with my current setup.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but how do limit straps prevent sway like a sway bar?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Your suspension cannot extend on the inside side in a turn as much as it could without them. .....
...the sway is an issue of the outside shock compressing not the inside extending...

It would seem that if the inside shock was replaced with a metal rod that had no extension/compression the machine would still sway as the outside shock gets compressed...

...If i think about it sometime I will take the limit straps off and take it for a ride and see how it feels just for comparison sake..
I would be interested to hear your results if you do test... :)

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
...the sway is an issue of the outside shock compressing not the inside extending...

It would seem that if the inside shock was replaced with a metal rod that had no extension/compression the machine would still sway as the outside shock gets compressed...
I agree but I believe the inside not being able to extend as far as normal would have a somewhat positive effect also. Right after I put my lift and limit straps on I ran into a Polaris service manager out riding and we drank a few beers and discussed it and he was animate that my limit straps would be far more effective than the sway bar and that I should just remove it. He really knows these machines and has a couple built ones himself. After my sway bar broke and I was able to see how flimsy it was I don't see how it was doing a great deal anyway. Still I think my shocks are mostly responsible for how good it handles now. It will be a few weeks before I am home and can experiment with the straps disconnected but I will report back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts