PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have a 2015 Ranger Diesel with the Kohler engine.
I have been having problems lately with the engine cutting out and losing power. It will occasionally cut out enough to kill the engine, but it will fire right back up. The engine has been maintained as far as regular oil/filter changes. It does not have water in the fuel system. The machine had very low hours (184 total) and miles (862) for its age. It is only used to for hunting and maintaining my property. Does anyone know if there is a filter or screen in the fuel tank that could be clogged?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
When it starts right back up does it have to sputter a bit to run right? Check intake in tank, remove and drain tank through a cloth, charge pump, vent line and it's filter, I'm assuming you have done the main filter?

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
How old is the fuel and has it been treated to prevent mold? Diesel will grow mold if left untreated for long periods of storage.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have added fuel treatment in the past but I’m not religious about it. The fuel is from February of this year. Before that it was topped off each trip to my property during hunting season. I replaced the fuel filter/water separator again and blew out the fuel lines. I need to get the tool to remove the fuel pick up line and sending unit. There appears to be plenty of fuel getting to the engine. Going to run it this weekend and see if there is any improvement. Thank you both for your input and advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I just went through this on a yanmar in a mower, found the intake screen did have some stuff on it but not much, after cleaning it seems to have fixed it but I'm not convinced. Problem I got and sounds the same with you, if it starts right back up chances are it's not a fuel problem but an electrical one. If you interrupt fuel in a diesel it will not start right back up without some difficulty. So this leads me to either the shutoff solenoid is going bad or something is telling it to shutoff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts