PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Ranger ETX that's about a year and a half old with 135 hours. Recently I've noticed occasional "differences" from the normal starting, but it would always still fire up. Today I used it, turned it off, and went to start again about 5 minutes later. All instrumentation powered up (battery is good - an Odyssey PCL 925), but when I moved key into the "start" position, it didn't even turn over. I tried again a few times, but nothing.

After walking back home to get my wife/tractor anticipating a tow, she hopped in, turned the key, and it fired right up. She also drove it a short distance, turned it off, then started it again - no problem.

Any thoughts/ideas what might be wrong and what to check?

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
wonder if it has that little block on frame by drivers rear wheel its a brake switch on mine gets corroded and wont let it start pull it off and clean it starts right up what I sounds like if it has it T&S

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip. I checked the connection and everything looks clean. Doesn't seem to be the problem.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Dale, if the brake/starter interlock switch is good, I would suspect the ignition switch....

·
Administrator
6,360 Posts
X2 on the ignition switch. (I always wait for Kris to chime in--less typing :glee: )

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help guys. My understanding of electrical is fairly limited; when you refer to the ignition switch, is this the round component with circuit board (as viewed from under the hood) into which the key is placed, or is it in some other area I should be looking? Is it something I could replace myself or would I need to involve a dealer? Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Dale , yes, the round thingy. Mine went bad last week and had the same symptoms ( it would work for my girl but not me) I don't know what a Ranger ETX is but most of the time EBAY has new Chinese ignition switches for 500/700/800 and 900.........for not much money. Easy to change out......

·
Super Moderator
6,745 Posts
Kris - I'm trying to identify the part # using Polaris' part site - Browse, and selecting RGR, 2015, ETX. I can't seem to find anything that says "ignition switch." Do you know what I should be looking for? Thanks
2015 Polaris Ranger ETX
Polaris part# 4012166
4 position, key switch.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, I haven't ordered the switch yet as I'd like to make sure this is really the problem. I went to use the ETX this morning and it started fine on a couple different occasions, each time sitting for at least 15 minutes before restarting. The last time I turned it off and realized I needed to restart within about a minute - again nothing when I turned the key over. After about 10 minutes, I went back and it fired right up.

Is it the consensus this is still the starter? Just want to make sure before I go ahead and spend $80 on a replacement.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Okay, I haven't ordered the switch yet as I'd like to make sure this is really the problem. I went to use the ETX this morning and it started fine on a couple different occasions, each time sitting for at least 15 minutes before restarting. The last time I turned it off and realized I needed to restart within about a minute - again nothing when I turned the key over. After about 10 minutes, I went back and it fired right up.

Is it the consensus this is still the starter? Just want to make sure before I go ahead and spend $80 on a replacement.
Dale, if the battery and starter solenoid and ALL connections are good and you said earlier the brake switch is good, that pretty much narrows it down to the ignition switch. After retesting ALL the above, I would find a cheaper switch .

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, several months later, I have the solution to the problem. I tried the ignition switch and solenoid, which didn't fix the problem. After not being completely pleased with my dealership when I bought the new unit and then being told it would take at least two weeks to get an appointment to even look at it, I turned to my trusted car mechanic. Turns out he also works on ATVs and had the diagnostic equipment to check it out. The issue turned out to be the starter.

Worse yet than having a bad starter on a machine with less than 150 hours, Polaris was of no help. Not surprised given they wouldn't do anything for a known defect where the metal pulls away from the glass in my tip-out windshield and I had to take that to a auto glass shop for repairs. Also found out the starter was part of a recall (I never received any notice), but because there was a limited supply and my machine was out of warranty, none were available. My mechanic finally procured one at a dealership in CA after many hours trying to find one for this particular machine.

Definitely a love/hate relationship here; I love the machine when all is working but hate dealing with Polaris!

·
Administrator
6,360 Posts
It's a shame your dealer won't stand up for you. I would sure shop elsewhere if the need ever arises!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is it my ignition?

I have 2015 Polaris Sportsman ETX. Recently while riding around, I shut the ATV off and upon attempting to restart it, the starter (or ignition) skips a bit and sometimes I have to turn the key over quickly until it gets enough spark to start, but as soon as I let off the key, it shuts off again. If I hold the key in the "crank" position the engine will stay on. What's my problem here? Is this the ignition? If so could someone please refer me to a website that has decent prices? I'm lost here. Any help would be AWESOME. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Saw your other post too and wondered whether your issue may also be a starter problem, similar to mine. In my particular case, I would turn the key and nothing would happen. Sometimes I could try again and it would engage and the machine would start; other times I had to walk away for several minutes, try again and it would fire. Eventually, I would turn the key and there was absolutely no turning of the motor, but all the electronics were working. This occurred initially as I first described and gradually worsened over several months. I never had your scenario where once I got the motor to turn and/or start that it wouldn't keep running.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts