PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all,
Well, I decided I should finally post my door build for my 2015 570 FS. Thanks to clschultz79 for the inspiration. I followed his lead but deviated slightly in materials. I dropped down to 16 ga 3/4" square tubing and skinned them in 18 ga sheets. I didn't build a tubing bender as he did, but rather elected to slice, bend and weld. That worked pretty well, but created more work than needed on the upper bends, so for the uppers on the second door we cut 3 walls and then bent and filled in the missing section. This worked much nicer. Also went a little heavier on the lower hinge bracket and made that out of 1/4 flat bar (no pictures of those, sorry). Learned alot during the process (mostly how to weld and how to grind those welds and weld it again). As my buddy put it, "we aren't welders, we're grinders." We had a good coach though, as my dad was a body man for 45 years. Also learned that we couldn't use the frame measurements from one side for the opposite side as they weren't perfect mirror images of each other. We completed the build late September of last year. Started the build in early August... Timed it perfectly! We completed the doors a day before we left for our 2 week hunting trip.

Here we go:
Built the frames in 2 parts.
3.JPG

Rough cut the skins with shears until they conked out 75% of the way through the second door. They sure worked slick though! Finished with the cutting wheel on my angle grinder. Only set myself on fire once. Had to buy a new flannel jacket...:

Framed in the windows and starting tacking the skins to the frames.:

All welded up. You can see the kink in the passenger lower. Had the idea to pre-bend the skin to make it sit closer to the tubing for welding. It wasn't needed, and didn't work as I envisioned, so we didn't do it for the driver door.

Both doors welded up and windows cut with the angle grinder. Time to work on hinges.:

The door side of the hinge brackets were out of 1/8" flat steel. Ranger side upper was 2x2 -1/8" angle iron. Lower, as mentioned previously was 2" -1/4" flat steel.

Latches are RV latches from Amazon. Couldn't find a left and right side, so one is upside down. Was hard to keep the dog out of the machine during the build.:

Had to build a box to allow for the thickness of an RV door. Jiggered strikers in the background are bolted to the roll cage using the factory bolt holes and hardware (modified) from the netting buckles.:

Sprayed the inside of the panels with flat black and the outters with bedliner (Raptor Liner). I could have gone heavier on the outside, but was concerned about curing time. Also seam-sealed the outside edges prior to paint to keep dirt and other schmoo from packing in between the skin and frame. Hindsight (realized upon going through the first deep hole), I should have also done that to the inside to keep the water from sitting between the skin and the frame. Concerned it may freeze and crack them.

Fini. Put the final touches on at camp. Which were windows (Velco strips and a clear vinyl table cloth from Walmart, cut to size).

Next, I need to come up with a better striker, as they tend to migrate a bit. Nothing like proudly showing off your home-made doors and not having them latch because the striker loosened off... I also plan to weld in an inner window frame and affix poly-carbonate windows. But as is, man what a difference in warmth. Not having the air circulating around your legs is huge. The majority of the time, we were running with the window panels out. As I said above, learned alot, set myself on fire once and burned my hand twice.

Cheers

·
Registered
249 Posts
GREAT JOB. Best way to learn is get out in the shop and do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well done! I still haven’t finished mine. Life got in the way and they’re just sitting in the shop. Good job!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I’m impressed. Very nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts