PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice on how to fix the starting problem with my 2015 Ranger XP900 EPS.

Battery is always on a tender and volts are strong. It's cranks just fine but just will not fire up. I did manage start it up once and ran 2 minutes, but had to ride RPMs to keep it from stalling. After that no luck.

Seem like an electrical issue or possibly fuel pump? I've checked all of fuses, electrical connections, wiring, etc. Everything looks good.

I took it to our local Polaris dealership about 2 months back for the same problem, they fixed it, and here we are again. Hoping to fix it myself this go around.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
call them ask them if they warranty there work or ask them what they replaced i would try crank sensor T&S

Reactions: pyromedic

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Fuel pump probably or vapor locked. Did you check your plugs?.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Vapor lock is highly unlikely. Vapor lock requires heat to boil the gasoline in the line. If the engine won't run there can't be any heat. The boiling point of gasoline at atmospheric pressure is about 181 degrees F and higher when under pressure. Even if the fuel pump were toast and unable to maintain pressure (which it may be) the surrounding air would have to be over 181 degrees F for vapor lock to occur. With no engine running a temperature that high is unlikely.

You may be right about the fuel pump, or it may simply be a connection in the wiring. I suggest first checking for spark and if none is found, chasing the harness and looking for broken wires, corroded connectors, loose connectors, bent pins inside connectors. If nothing out is found to be out of order start looking at the components that send signals to the ECU. IF you have no spark take a look at the plugs to see if they are wet with fuel. If so your fuel system and injectors are probably operating properly and you can focus on ignition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the advice. Good news is the Dealership/Shop has offered to warranty their recent work and check it out again. I'll share these notes about the fuel pump, spark plugs and ignition. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions. Thank you for the advice. Shop has offered to warranty their recent work and check it out again. Unfortunately I'm not a mechanic. What is T&S? And where is the crank sensor located?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. Thank you for the advice. Shop has offered to warranty their recent work and check it out again. Unfortunately I'm not a mechanic. What is T&S? And where is the crank sensor located?
Given that you are not a mechanic I would suggest a service manual which can be downloaded for about $10. I got one for my 2015 570 and it also covers the 900. It is very good. A Google search may get you to the site or a search on this Forum will do the same.

·
Super Moderator
6,810 Posts
Sounds like the starter sprag clutch is broken. Not allowing consistent speed of the flywheel.
This allows erratic pulses on the crank position sensor, not allowing it to start.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts