PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have posted a few times and figured I would start my build thread and add as I go. I am excited to get more ideas and advice from you all.

She's a 2016 900 EPS Titanium and I am going to be using it for some fun riding, but mainly as a work horse, which is why I needed the extra colors and fancy wheels:glee::glee:. I recently acquired 75 acres and am in the process of opening up a bunch of trails and going to try my hand at some dry stack walls in the field with the remains of some old ones that were used to mark old property lines. After a few weeks of hiking uphill with a 30lb brush cutter and can of gas I realized I probably could make my life alot easier with some sort of Side by Side. After a few weeks of searching and riding some of my cousins and uncles I thought decided to go with a Ranger. I was thinking one of those Honda 1000's or a Mule, between the Honda's higher price, and the Mules lack of fun power, I thought the Ranger was a perfect goldilocks.

Bought it with the winch and front rack, the rack wasn't in when I ordered it so I had to put it on. Wasn't too hard and I am pretty bad at putting things together. Has a 125lb limit, I am going to use it for camping gear, saw, or whatever else I want I guess. Winch is for pulling trees off my trails when I don't want to cut them up, or I don't have a saw with me.

The side mirrors are only good for the side you are on. What I mean is the driver can't really see that well out of the passenger side mirror and vice versa, although it is an improvement over nothing. The Polaris rear-view is super wide angled and works pretty well. Both installed really easily with the profit set up. Trail Armor came in today and will be put on this week along with a few other final (for now) touches and will add photos as I go.

Here are some pics so ya'll know I'm not just blowing smoke.

At the dealer to pick up
Screen Shot 2016-06-27 at 8.44.22 PM.png

Seats are peeling like a bastard, but thanks to these fancy seat covers I'll never know:encouragement::encouragement:
Screen Shot 2016-06-27 at 8.45.53 PM.png

Rack and Polaris Back Up Mirror
Screen Shot 2016-06-27 at 8.45.08 PM.png

Breakaway mirror tucked in
Screen Shot 2016-06-27 at 8.44.37 PM.png

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Nice looking ride but what do mean "pealing"?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, that was a joke aimed at one of the recent posts by @wgarcar2. I don't think they are actually peeling!

Reactions: Dseldoc and trog

·
Registered
580 Posts
i wish i had the type of seats that you have on, they are totally different and tougher then mine.
beautiful machine!
don't let the winch rope dangle like that, pick it up a little more, you don't want it to pick up stuff (limbs, brush, ex-wives, ect.)
GOOD LUCK BUDDY !!!

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Nice looking ride. Congratulations.

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good call on the winch, it doesn't pull in much more but I can hook it on a bar that looks like it might be made for just that purpose. As far as the seats go, I thought the difference was that mine had a fancy cover, I didn't know they were actually different, so again good to know!

Thanks guys! The bed mat and my Pawltector will be here Wednesday with the rest coming Friday, hopefully I'll get it all set up this weekend and finish the pictures.

·
Registered
287 Posts
i wish i had the type of seats that you have on, they are totally different and tougher then mine.
beautiful machine!
don't let the winch rope dangle like that, pick it up a little more, you don't want it to pick up stuff (limbs, brush, ex-wives, ect.)
GOOD LUCK BUDDY !!!
Ron he's got the auto stop winch like i do it looks like but whoever installed didn't do a good job like mine when i went to pick it up i made them adjust before i paid them for it. Wanna see a dealer hustle just stand there with 16 $1000 dollars bill in your hand lol. I do like that auto stop winch its worth the money

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, they said it stops there on purpose or something, do you know how I adjust it?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah, they said it stops there on purpose or something, do you know how I adjust it?
I think it has bolts you can loosen and slide it up and down the line. Mines not here at the moment or i would go look but its gotta be adjustable some how when i get mine back I'll check it out if you haven't got it by then.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright thanks! I'll take a closer look this weekend.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pawltector E-Break-Trail Armor Full Skid- BAD DAWG rubber bed mat

First up lets talk about Trail Armor. I got the skids in the mail and was shocked at the weight, I knew they were some sort of plastic, but I was expecting something a lot heavier. I have some RCI metalworks skid plates on my F150 and there is quite a difference. If it holds up even close to as well it will be worth the money paid. As far as installation goes...Let's say it was frustrating. This is mostly my fault though. I decided to just pull it up on some plastic car ramps and crawl under instead of winching it up a tree or hanging it on my father's tractor. This made things considerably more tight, difficult and time consuming, I know some others on here have done it this way with no problem, but I'm not very mechanically inclined and struggle with everything:distress: . So, if I were to do it again I would hang it up or tip it over like they say to in the directions, and avoided all the metal splinters in my back. Now that it is on, I have already hit it a bunch of times and am very glad it is there! Would buy again, but would install the way they tell you to instead of using ramps.

Next up is the Bad Dawg mat. This thing reminds me of a really bad 90's trucker stereo type with the over the top dog logo and spelling. I would have preferred just a blank rubber mat, but now that I got it I might as well rock it with pride and fight anyone who looks at me funny. On the upside it fits really well, and a few of my dogs who wouldn't ride in the bed because they couldn't get a grip or stabilize themselves jumped right in and will be able to come for more future rides.
Screen Shot 2016-06-30 at 5.10.24 PM.png

Last but possibly the best thing I've added to this machine is the Pawltector. This thing came in a used ziplock bag and my fiance said she would have sent it back, well I told her that I don't care what it's wrapped in as long as it works! Let me tell you it does! I am attaching two photos that don't give a good impression of how steep it actually is, but the pawltector held perfectly and allowed me to shift out of park into L easier than if I was on flat ground. Where I am going to be using this for work is literally 90% hill, and I got stuck in P twice last weekend, if my cousin wasn't around to shift while I pushed the ranger I would have been in trouble. This thing is great and I 100% reccomend it to anyone. It installs in literally 3 minutes, and this is coming from the village idiot. Oh, their directions are absolute trash for someone like me. So if you are like me, go here and this guy shows you with color photos and photoshop directions. http://rocksandruts.net/threads/pawltector-rzr-parking-brake-install-and-first-impressions.1202/
Screen Shot 2016-06-30 at 5.10.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-30 at 5.11.11 PM.png

I will be adding the A-arm skids maybe this weekend. Hopefully the storage rack and bumper too.

Reactions: Happy Prospector

·
Registered
694 Posts
Looks great. As mentioned earlier, that rubber winch stop should be snugged down on top of the hook. and you should be able to pull that up until its snug against the fairlead plate. If it will not retract that far, I would at least see if you can manually disengage and roll it back up.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, I will play with that later tonight or sometime tomorrow. Right now I know where I am riding the trail is clear, but it does need to be addressed.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well I got the Super ATV bumper and the Trail Armor small storage rack on last night and this morning. They both look great in my opinion and I am happy with them.

Super ATV Bumper- Two things I would change. On the installation instructions it has you put a front bed support on a certain area on the frame, but just says "somewhere on this bar". Well it is a very specific place that it fits, not just "on the bar" and that cost me about an hour of fiddling around. Like I have said before though I can't do anything easy so it could be just me. For anyone who is wondering about the correct position, it's as far up towards the cab as you can get. The other thing is I needed to jack the final bed support up so it angled right to align the screws, not a big deal, but something the directions didn't mention. It all worked out in the end, it's on tight and you can step up on it easy without any sag or feeling like it will break. Would buy again.

Trail Armor Storage Rack- Super super easy to put together, the only thing I struggled with was I didn't know how to adjust the lock and ride plugs at first, but you guys came through big time and gave me a quick answer and I got it on. Someone had mentioned in another long lost thread that they had the large version and it was loud, banged all over and so heavy he couldn't lift the bed anymore. The little one has NONE of these issues, the bed lifts easy (although it is heavier, it isn't horrible) and it didn't make a peep or move an inch when I drove around testing it on some rougher parts of my trails. Love it.

Putting on my Rigid D2 driving lights that came in this morning sometime today and will post some pics of day and night shots later tonight! Here are a bunch of pics!

Screen Shot 2016-07-03 at 1.28.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-03 at 1.27.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-03 at 1.27.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-03 at 1.44.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-03 at 1.29.09 PM.png
A Yeti Roadie 20 is 11.75 or something inches wide at the base, even if it is 13.75 at the top, this allows it to fit perfectly in the 12inches that the road armor gives you. My gas cans also fit perfect. Nothing but laziness to stop me cutting now:encouragement:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Put on the driving lights on. First time I've ever done lights, Rigid made it super easy and this was probably the easiest time I had with these mods besides the front rack and the pawltector. I had to drill out the existing hole a little to fit the mount bolt, but that was no problem. Can't wait for this sun to go down to see what I'm working with.

Screen Shot 2016-07-03 at 6.55.18 PM.png
I even pulled my winch in all the way so that slpybeartx can't scold me anymore!:glee::encouragement:
Screen Shot 2016-07-03 at 6.55.28 PM.png

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Wow...the yeti costs more then all the add on's combined. I've been looking for just the yeti sticker to put on my $18. coleman cooler.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ordered one online because there was a discount if you picked it up in store. The store was absolute chaos when I went, so they got my the cooler and then told me I was all set, so off I go with my expensive cooler and figure that's the last of it. I get an email two days later informing me I haven't picked up my cooler yet and I need to do that. So I call and tell whoever is there at the time what happened and I have it, the lady says she has no record of that so if I want it come get it.

So now I got two coolers for the price of 20, instead of just one :encouragement:

Reactions: Jmarco89

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I ordered one online because there was a discount if you picked it up in store. The store was absolute chaos when I went, so they got my the cooler and then told me I was all set, so off I go with my expensive cooler and figure that's the last of it. I get an email two days later informing me I haven't picked up my cooler yet and I need to do that. So I call and tell whoever is there at the time what happened and I have it, the lady says she has no record of that so if I want it come get it.

So now I got two coolers for the price of 20, instead of just one :encouragement:
That's what you call falling into a pool of pooh and coming out smelling like a rose!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I felt bad because the coolers are pricey and I try to be an honest guy who does right when I can, but when I called they didn't seem to care and said to come pick the extra up if I wanted it. I guess these big box chains don't have the employee loyalty you get from smaller places!

Anyways, tested out the lights last night. I am disappointed in the initial light spread I have, and I think this is a direct reflection of where I mounted them. Directly in front of the wheels you don't get any light until about 5 feet out. I think if I mess with the mounting position I will be okay, in the end the light is a big improvement over the stock lights as far as being nice clean light. In the photos I have it is harder to tell how far the LED goes, and how clear it makes things look. It comes off as much less impressive than it looks in real life, when you are in the machine though you can tell a huge difference between the headlights and these D2's. My headlights are also aimed high, so it looks a little better in this picture than they actually work on trails and I think I could pick up the d2's a little so they shoot further out.

Stock with regular and high beams, can't really tell the difference between the two, one seems to shoot higher.
Screen Shot 2016-07-04 at 5.50.37 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-07-04 at 5.50.50 AM.png

LED, not as impressive as it looks in real life, but the initial narrowness due to my mounting is seen
Screen Shot 2016-07-04 at 5.50.22 AM.png

1 - 20 of 72 Posts