PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently just fixed an issue where the EFI fuse was blowing every time you would turn the key. It ended up being a short in the key switch so I replaced the switch. Now I have power to everything and the motor will turn over, but it will not crank. I found that im not getting fuel and spark. I haven't done a lot of investigation on the fuel, but on the spark side, I am getting power to the coil, and the coil and spark plug wire are good according to the remittances in the service manual. Im not sure what steps to take next. I have checked and double checked all relays and fuses. According to the owner of the Polaris (a friend of mine) this was not an issue before the refi fuse started blowing.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
"the motor will turn over, but it will not crank " ???

Noah..........have you checked the plug on the ECU ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it sits there and turns over constantly but won't crank, I took the line off of the injector and nothing would come out, and im also not getting spark. I unplugged the ECU and made sure the plugs were clean and dry. Is that what you mean?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"the motor will turn over, but it will not crank " ???

Noah..........have you checked the plug on the ECU ?
I saw your other reply. not sure why my questions double posted. But yes none of the pins appear to be burnt up or anything. And it appears to be plugged in good. It has those latches on it that lock the plugs in.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
It almost sounds like another bad ignition switch ..not the ECU..... I would pull the switch plug and check those pins..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It almost sounds like another bad ignition switch ..not the ECU..... I would pull the switch plug and check those pins..
When you say check the pins, what do you mean exactly? Like check for continuity in the different switch positions?

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
Yes ....................

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes ....................
Ok so I tested the key switch according to the service manual and it is good. I also retested the ignition systems and the fuel sender unit and they are in spec as well according to the manual. So am I looking at a bad ECU?

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
So Noah, lets summarize before you go and buy a new ECU..
1. You have power to the coil but no spark coming out of the coil ?
2. You have NO power to the fuel pump ? (keep in mind unless the engine fires, the ECU kills the power to the pump).
3. You have power to everything and the motor will crank over but will not start ?

·
Registered
6,592 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you are sure that new ignition you installed is good , if it were me I would check with Ozz first to make sure this will fit :
Ok so I got a new ECU and now the fuel pump is working (I can hear it) and I checked spark and it looked good. But for some reason it still isn't wanting to crank. The box next to the injector that has Bosch written on it has a high pitched ringing sound coming from it, but im not sure if that's the problem. If I have fuel and spark it should at least hit so im assuming there is some sort of interruption with it getting fuel. Any ideas?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you are sure that new ignition you installed is good , if it were me I would check with Ozz first to make sure this will fit :
After further investigation I discover that my spark is kind of sporadic. when checking the spark by simply taking the plug out and grounding it to a valve cover bolt, it sparks sometimes but not always. I will get a new plug ASAP, but what are some other possibilities? Checked the spark plug wire and ignition coil 2 weeks ago when testing for other issues so I don't think there is anything wrong with those but Im not sure.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
Hey Noah, Get a good plug and make sure that plug wire is good. After that I would look at the crank position sensor and harness. Anything bad there with the CPS and she won't start.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Noah, Get a good plug and make sure that plug wire is good. After that I would look at the crank position sensor and harness. Anything bad there with the CPS and she won't start.
Alright I got a new plug and it fits a lot more snug into the plug wire and now its sparking good all the time. I wish there was a way to know if its sparking inside. It still will not crank. I checked the CPS harness and everything looks good and the resistances are in spec as per the service manual. Really not sure what could be the issue. Should the spark plug be wet after trying to crank? After I turned it over for a while with no luck I took the spark plug out and it smelled a bit like gas but it was bone dry. I know fuel is getting to the injector good but Im not sure if its making it into the actual cylinder. I usually deal with carbureted engines in my small engine work so this injector thing is new to me.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
Noah, you NEED to check the fuel pressure... That is usually the first thing I tell people to do. If you want a link to a FP tester let me know.....

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts