PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Polaris Ranger 900 XP won't start without ether but starts and runs good afterwards. I started with putting fresh gas in it. No change. I tested fuel pressure at the rail, 54 psi with key on, 58 psi while running. I bought a fuel filter and then found out that you can't really change the filter as it is built into the whole fuel pump assembly. So I bought a new fuel pump assembly. No change.

I pulled off the throttle body and cleaned it even though it wasn't very dirty. No change.

I changed the CPS. No change.

I broke the T-map sensor trying to remove it and clean it but just pieced it back together, temporarily until I get a new one. No change.

Any ideas? Found a few posts on here with similar issues but nothing that was resolved.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I'd siphon the tank and start with fresh fuel.

·
Administrator
7,947 Posts
"won't start without ether ".........

Bull, a hard start but running fine after is often times from low compression. I would be doing a compression or better yet a leak down test.

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
4,092 Posts
Possibly low compression due to improper valve adjustment or dusted engine (intake boot).

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: the battery tested fine even though it's over 4 years old but I noticed a small amount of corrosion on the positive terminals. I cleaned them up with some electrical contact cleaner and a wire brush and it is starting on it's own again.

Thanks for your suggestions! Hopefully this takes care of the problem at least until the end of hunting season!

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
4,092 Posts
Update: the battery tested fine even though it's over 4 years old but I noticed a small amount of corrosion on the positive terminals. I cleaned them up with some electrical contact cleaner and a wire brush and it is starting on it's own again.

Thanks for your suggestions! Hopefully this takes care of the problem at least until the end of hunting season!
A weak battery or poor connections can cause weak ignition when cranking due to low voltage to the ECU /ignition components. A 4 year old battery, especially an OEM one, is getting long in the tooth.

I'm assuming you performed a load test for your battery test. If the battery is weak it puts an additional load on your charging system and can cause early failure of that system as well. I'm not one for tossing good parts but using "iffy" parts is false economy.

Reactions: Jungleman
1 - 8 of 8 Posts