PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ranger 900xp hunters edition.
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am brand new to forums in general. This is the first one I have ever joined and did so because super atv recommended it. Not real sure how it works. Here we go. I have a 2016 ranger 900 xp. I put a 3” lift on it and after doing so it made the ride so ruff I can’t stand it. I am hoping someone else has had this problem and could steer me towards a solution that doesn’t break the bank or require a bigger lift with more suspension components. I am hoping there is a set of shocks I can purchase or something like that to improve the ride quality. I use it mainly for hunting and riding around on my property. I don’t mud ride but wanted the extra height and bigger tires so that every time the water comes up on my property it doesn’t flood the floor boards or get in the belt housing. I’m sure my first post was a little long winded. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Blake

·
Super Moderator
6,715 Posts
Which 3” lift did you purchase?
I’m guessing that since SATV recommended this forum, that is what you purchased.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds like you bought a bracket lift, a lift that changes the upper geometry of the shocks to a more vertical position. Those tend to produce a lot stiffer ride. Do some searching for lift kits on this forum. There is a wealth of information.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Blake. I just purchased the same rig and added the 3" Super ATV lift as well. I still have the 26" tires it came with though. Mine rides the same as before I put the lift on from what I can tell so far. I adjusted my shocks to the highest setting and mounted them on the outer most hole and actually got 4" of lift. I am looking forward to the added clearance on these rocky Texas trails. You said you put bigger tires on, what PSI are your running? Maybe they are over inflated and a harder compound than original tires. I am going trail riding soon and will let you know if I notice a difference.

WildBill

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I learned by experience that lifts require compromises in your expectations. I recently added a 2" Dragonfire lift, which is a bracket lift. Although geometry doesn't appear to be much diferent the ride is slightly firmer. There are other compromises as well, with lifts and arched "A" arms that move the tire forward slightly comes the need for spacers on the steering rack to limit travel so CV joints don't bind. This increases turning radius, even more than just increasing wheelbase by that inch or so the "A' arms alone would.
In my case I don't mind the slightly stiffer ride but the increased turning radius bugs me. I may see if there are axles with CV joints that will tolerate greater angles that OEM to try to get my turning radius back.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the forward offset high clearance a arms on my '18 900xp. I didn't put the rack spacer in it. I've put 1000's of miles on it on Wyoming trails and fire roads with no issues at all. I believe the spacers are there to prevent the front axles from pulling out while driving in reverse with the wheels turned sharply.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My a arms (Super ATV) offer no lift, only 1.5" forward offset and more ground clearance. I'm currently running 28x10x14 Rage tires.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I have the forward offset high clearance a arms on my '18 900xp. I didn't put the rack spacer in it. I've put 1000's of miles on it on Wyoming trails and fire roads with no issues at all. I believe the spacers are there to prevent the front axles from pulling out while driving in reverse with the wheels turned sharply.
I have the same "A" Arms as you, I installed the spacers as per included instructions. Spacers also came with the Dragonfire lift I installed. I appreciate the information you provided. I think I will contact SATV and ask a few questions and maybe remove the spacers, raise the front end so the suspension is at full extension, turn the wheels hard left and right and try to rotate the wheels to feel for any binding.
I'm not certain I agree with you that the axles coming out would be a problem, I truly believe that binding of the CV joints is the real issue. CVs have a limited range of angle within which they must operate after which they will begin to bind. I do believe that with higher lifts and even more forward offset of the arms axle length would become the bigger factor.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's what I meant.The actual cv's would pull apart due to binding. Sorry I didn't relay that thought very well.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
That's what I meant.The actual cv's would pull apart due to binding. Sorry I didn't relay that thought very well.
I thought you meant the axles would pull out of the front differential.
Sometimes it's frustrating to get a thought across in writing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello Blake. I just purchased the same rig and added the 3" Super ATV lift as well. I still have the 26" tires it came with though. Mine rides the same as before I put the lift on from what I can tell so far. I adjusted my shocks to the highest setting and mounted them on the outer most hole and actually got 4" of lift. I am looking forward to the added clearance on these rocky Texas trails. You said you put bigger tires on, what PSI are your running? Maybe they are over inflated and a harder compound than original tires. I am going trail riding soon and will let you know if I notice a difference.

WildBill
I am running 8 psi in the tires. I did not realize the factory shocks were adjustable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like you bought a bracket lift, a lift that changes the upper geometry of the shocks to a more vertical position. Those tend to produce a lot stiffer ride. Do some searching for lift kits on this forum. There is a wealth of information.
Thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes the shocks adjust to 4 positions. There is a tool to adjust them that should’ve come with your ride. Maybe try a softer setting? What kind and size of tires did you get?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes the shocks adjust to 4 positions. There is a tool to adjust them that should’ve come with your ride. Maybe try a softer setting? What kind and size of tires did you get?
30” Cryptid tires. I’m going to bring it home this weekend from the farm and change all the fluids and belt. I have a set of 28” swamp lights I ran on it when it was stock ride height. I may put them back on it and see if it’s the tires. I don’t think that will help though because the suspension is just so much stiffer now with the lift.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Initially I bought the Ranger Prolift setup. It's nice and easy to install. Unfortunately for me, it didn't work with the Arched "A" Arms I purchased fro SATV. I purchased those arms specifically so I could adjust camber because the OEM arms were so camber positive and caused excessive tire wear.I had no choice but to go with abracket lift that attached to the upper shock mount if I wanted a lift.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts