PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Members, I will attempt to provide the best troubleshooting information I have.

Unit is a 2016 Ranger 900XP, I am the original owner.
800 miles currently. 92.3 hours.
Stored indoors at all times, climate controlled.
Never operated in deep water or otherwise flooded.

When attempting to start, key to On and I can hear fuel pump cycle.

Engine cranks at normal speed with no attempt at firing.

Battery voltage is good at 12.1 Vdc

Usually after 3-4 cranking attempts it will finally start. When it does start it
runs Very rough and you can smell the rich fuel mixture coming from the exhaust.
It will run rough for several minutes and almost die. With application of throttle
sometimes to keep it running.

I verified spark plugs torqued properly. Upon removal both plugs have good strong
spark. Gap is set correct at .030 insulators are a nice light tan color. Plugs are not
wet as you would see in a flooded condition.

Air filter is clean and the intake track free of any obstruction.

Fuel in the unit is the same ethanol free used in all of my outdoor power equipment.
With no issues in any of those units.

Once it's run for a while it will restart normally without issue for the next few days.

If it sits for a week to 10 days it will exhibit this starting issue again.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Respectfully submitted.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Get a good reliable battery like an agm. Insurance on not walking home either way. Stock is past due.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2016 900 started acting very similar and eventually stopped starting all together (cranked fine). I eventually started getting a crank position sensor fault which I changed (did not fix the issue). In the end it ended up being a bad plug. It got to the point where one of the plugs was not firing at all (other one was) and it wouldn't even try to start.
It may not be your issue but it's something cheap to try?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 2016 900xp. Changed plugs and checked everything I could think of. Long story short, my issue was fuel. I only store non-ethanol fuel and using Pri-G, but my 900XP, along with my Husqvarna chain saws (especially the XP) only like relatively fresh fuel. So now I only keep enough fuel in mine to last a couple months (do not use often until I need a 3rd hand).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I removed the fuel pump last night and inspected the filter. No issues, no debris.

I completely drained the tank last night even though there was absolutely no sign of moisture in the tank.

No check engine light or codes of any kind.

Verified the tank vent line was clean and unobstructed, even though I tried running it with the fuel cap
removed with no joy.

At this point I am thinking maybe a TPS? Although it runs great any RPM above 2K

This whole thing is just not making sense.

Battery voltage is good and the engine cranks with authority. Once it starts the charging system
maintains a voltage of 13.8-14.0 Vdc as measured with my Fluke 77.

I am open to further suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
6,859 Posts
Fuel Pressure?

Reactions: RJ

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Yep^^^ need a fuel pressure reading.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fuel pressure KOEO 60psi, running 58 as measured with my OTC Fuel pressure gauge.

Verified intake track clamps on boots are secure.
Checked for vacuum leaks using carb cleaner.

·
Super Moderator
6,859 Posts
What octane fuel?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
91 Ethanol free. I drained the tank. Last night I purchased 10gal of fresh 91 octane Ethanol free
in an attempt to rectify this issue even though I found no evidence from the fuel that was in the
tank when I removed the fuel pump and drained the tank.

I am hopeful this will correct the issue. If not maybe the TPS? Valve adjustment?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Have you done a compression check. Just had a 900 with same symptoms. It had 180 psi on the PTO side and 50 on the MAG side. They had let the hidden hinges on the air box unseated which creates about a 1/8" gap allowing dust into the engine. Apparently the shape of the intake plenum directs the dirt to the MAG cylinder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts