PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ranger has 400 hours / 5000 miles on it. Earlier this summer when I arrived at my South Texas deer lease where the Ranger is stored, I had a tough time getting it started and it would barely run. I discovered that a rat had chewed a spark plug wire.

I patched the wire for the weekend, ran fine but started rough. Sometimes takes 2-3 times before it gets past the rough choking then it runs fine.

Fast forward, new spark plug wires and new plugs, still has the same rough start. Any ideas what to try next? It still has the check engine light on from running with only 1 cylinder.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,311 Posts
I'd be looking for more chewed wiring. They may have gnawed on a wire for one of the EFI sensors.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
7,232 Posts
GB, you definitely need to invest in a SERVICE MANUAL... ebay.com
 
  • Like
Reactions: pyromedic

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
Joined
·
3,730 Posts
Given that it appears that you store your Ranger for periods of time I think I'd also be certain the battery is up to snuff. A low/weak battery can be borderline good enough to crank and start the engine but since a lot of power was taken to crank the engine there may not be enough juice left to properly operate the ECU and associated engine electronics until the engine has run long enough to recharge the battery to a level that the electronics have enough current to run the engine properly. It seems to me that a battery on the edge of failure could cause your symptoms. If the battery is in that condition it places a big load on your charging system and may cause early failure of the charging system, i.e. stator or regulator.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top