PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

21 - 40 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are any of you getting a lot of noise from the front gearcase? I have a NS and can really hear the front gearcase when driving in 2WD it goes away when I am in 4WD.
The cab really amplifies those noises. I have a 17 not north star, with cab and you can really hear it. This summer I took everything but the top off and the whole machine is whisper quiet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just got my Titanium Metallic the other day and so far it appears to be a huge upgrade from my 11 500 Midsize. I don’t have the problems with shifting as others have mentioned but I do feel that the clutch engagement is still pretty jerky. It’s no worse than my old machine, but I was really thinking it would be better. All that said all I’ve been able to do is drive around my back yard so far so more to come I’m sure!

·
Registered
2 Posts
With the exception of the windshield my 2018 has all the same issues. I have tried all the throttle control positions and they don't seem to slove the problem.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
For what it’s worth, my dealer swapped out the hard coat poly windshield for me and replaced it with another one. Same issues, but a bit less pronounced, not as bad as the first one. If you look through the windshield at a fixed object with a straight line and move your head, particularly if you are looking through the windshield at an angle, you can’t miss the warps and warbles on the straight edge. My 7 year old hard coat poly windshield on my 2011 from Curtis has no such issues. Polaris either has some manufacturing issues or this is just a cheap poly they are using IMHO.

My dealer said he did notice it but he thought it was relatively minor. It really bothers me so I’m going to swap out the hard coat poly for glass. I don’t want to spend the $$$ but I also don’t want to get annoyed every time I drive it with what I’m already invested in it for. That and my neighbors might think I have some serious issues if they continually see me bobbing and weaving my head with a *issed off look on my face as I drive by.

·
Super Moderator
6,585 Posts
Are any of you getting a lot of noise from the front gearcase? I have a NS and can really hear the front gearcase when driving in 2WD it goes away when I am in 4WD.
And this is going to get worse as the flex/carrier bearing goes south.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I took mine out for a ride this past weekend and noticed what you're describing. From what I can tell, to me it seemed like the front hubs remained locked even with the switch in 2WD. I stopped, put it in reverse, backed up a few feet, put it in low and moved forward. That seemed to resolve the issue for me.

I used Low gear after that when driving less than 15-20mph and never noticed the noise again.

·
Super Moderator
6,585 Posts
Can you go into more detail about this? Is the flex/carrier bearing something should be upgraded?

Polaris carried over a fairly common issue from the Ranger Crews/General and incorporated it into the New Rangers.
With the Crews having a longer wheelbase, the prop shaft angles are reduced from the Trans to front gear case, which helps in several ways to reduce flex/carrier bearing failure.
With the shorter wheelbase of the New Standard Ranger, The driveline angles are increased, possibly causing premature flex bearing failure.
The New Ranger uses a hybrid CV/ U joint two piece prop shaft.
The flex bearing is the same part used since 2014 on the Crews.

Since the unit is so new we have not seen many issues posted yet, but keep in mind, overall they are not much different from the older units.
(Example: starting to see posts on the front gear case noise on the new units, that has been going on since the release of the 900 in 2013).

With that said, it is my opinion from looking at the driveline, that this bearing may fail sooner on these units due to increased prop shaft angle ( u joint), resulting in a higher frequency of torsional vibrations.
Imbalance created from manufacturing tolerances.

This is something I posted when the pics of the new unit were released.
I may be wrong, but we will see in the months ahead.

It would definitely be something I would upgrade.

·
Registered
40 Posts
No shifting issues with my 2018 ranger. Shifts better then my 2016 rzr did. My only complaint so far is waiting on accessories.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I totally agree all this B.S. about tracking parts, parts unavailable, backordered parts very disappointed in POLARIS

·
Super Moderator
6,585 Posts
FYI, the owners of the 18 XP, There are 2 ( or supposed to be) rubber drain plugs that are on the side of the engine and clutch plastic intake tube. This tube is located under the center removable cover/hump.

If you plan on getting into water that comes over the floor board, I would make sure these plugs are there, and inserted correctly, as well as check all tube connections and make cure the clamps are tight.

·
Registered
507 Posts
FYI, the owners of the 18 XP, There are 2 ( or supposed to be) rubber drain plugs that are on the side of the engine and clutch plastic intake tube. This tube is located under the center removable cover/hump.

If you plan on getting into water that comes over the floor board, I would make sure these plugs are there, and inserted correctly, as well as check all tube connections and make cure the clamps are tight.
Anyway you would be able to get a picture of the plugs and their locations?

·
Super Moderator
6,585 Posts
Anyway you would be able to get a picture of the plugs and their locations?
I do not have any pics at this time.
All you have to do is remove the center cover in the floorboard, the tubes are directly under it, and the plugs are on the sides of the tubes, 1 on each side.

Attachments

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yes thanks for the heads up, I remember seeing them in the heater install video, his machine had them installed. Ha I see you screenshotted his video... lol

·
Super Moderator
6,585 Posts
Yes thanks for the heads up, I remember seeing them in the heater install video, his machine had them installed. Ha I see you screenshotted his video... lol
Yeah, Ruger asked for pics and I did not have any, so while I was watching the video, they showed up, so I took the screenshot, and posted it.

Also remember to check the clamps at the front and back of the intake tubes, make sure all tubes are located and installed correctly.

·
Registered
507 Posts
How attached are everyone’s driver side seat back/bar? Mine is more loose than I think it should be. I’ll do some investigating tomorrow

·
Registered
369 Posts
when I went and test drove last week- I noticed that as well. I was trying to tip the entire seat towards the steering wheel (like a 900 XP) to see if there was under seat storage and it was very loose . Or maybe I made it loose by repeatedly yanking on it! I also noticed that the back of the seat has the side "safety" tubes mounted to it to help keep you in the seat - not on the side of the ranger frame like they are on the 900XP.

More things for me to point out on Friday morning when I take the wife to do a final test drive!

21 - 40 of 253 Posts