PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up new to me ranger with speed key limiter installed. My ignition key can operate the locking device, but my max speed is 30, so assume it’s not the fast key.
Anyone have this experience or know how to address? Thank you

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The speed key system that I'm familiar with has a separate yellow key and switch. The switch has a rabbit and a turtle on it and is mounted close to the fuse box and diagnostic connector.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that’s exactly what is on my machine. I cannot get over 30 mph, whether I turn the key to fast or slow. I eliminated the seat belt speed limit potential issue by installing a wire that keeps that circuit open.

I was hoping someone had a speed key system and might be able to point me in the direction of my problem.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Maybe the speed key isn't the issue. If your clutches are not fully opening/closing that would also limit speed. Just a thought.

I do know that with the speed key the limited speed is programmable but has to be done at a dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got a new belt and reinspected/ deglazed both clutches. Jacked up rear tires and put in high gear....would “accelerate “ almost instantly to about 30 and then bounce between 20 - 30. Seat belt eliminated by having jumper in place. I am 99.9% sure it’s the speed key.
What I cannot figure out is what is different between the fast and slow key, and could I just order an oem key from Polaris for the “fast” key? Or do I have the system wrong?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
My understanding it's programed fast or slow, maybe it was set for 30/30. Pic below is the kit and only way to eliminate is a dealer reflash, maybe a giloman tune but not sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, that’s it. What I cannot figure out, I can use the key to move it from “slow” to “fast”, and it seems that slow is 10-15 mph and fast is 30 mph....

is it pricey to get a reflash?

thanks for the information.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
That makes more sense, I misunderstood your post in that I thought it would do only 30 in both positions. It still may be programed 10/15 and 30, as for a reflash I have no idea on cost. When on the high side, does it kind of float out at 30? like it hits the limit, it is possible it's a clutch issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don’t think it’s the clutch, as the rpms just stop increasing, but your floating comment is accurate.
It will get to 30 really fast, then just hang there. Engine isn’t working very hard, so it’s obvious something isn’t right.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I also misunderstood the 30 mph. It does sound like the previous owner had it set to 15 & 30. There is not a fast key and a slow key, just the rabbit and turtle. I took a customer's Ranger to get the speed key programmed after I installed the hardware. They asked what I wanted the turtle speed set to but I didn't ask the changed the fast setting. They charged half and hours labor which was $60.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts