PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a v plow on my North Star and when I use plow voltage drops to 11 and most of the time engine dies just put a oddessey 1200 battery in but didn’t help much

·
Registered
2020 Ranger Northstar Crew Ultimate
572 Posts
I would start with the winch and make sure it isn’t drawing excessive amps. Then check the voltage regulator. Then the charging system. Sounds like voltage reg.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would start with the winch and make sure it isn’t drawing excessive amps. Then check the voltage regulator. Then the charging system. Sounds like voltage reg.
It’s a hydraulic western plow

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Did you wire directly to the battery?

·
Registered
2020 Ranger Northstar Crew Ultimate
572 Posts
Those power packs electric over hydrolic tak some big power! Post a pic of the nameplate.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Put a full size battery in and you will have no more problems , I put a Optima under the seat six years ago for the winch and have no problems since ..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Don't have a plow (no need in the south) but my 2018 also dies if you winch hard enough to stall the winch motor . I have done some testing and apparently the battery voltage doesn't have to drop much to make the engine die. It doesn't matter if it is wired directly to the battery or not. The only solution is a bigger battery or 2 batteries.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Don't have a plow (no need in the south) but my 2018 also dies if you winch hard enough to stall the winch motor . I have done some testing and apparently the battery voltage doesn't have to drop much to make the engine die. It doesn't matter if it is wired directly to the battery or not. The only solution is a bigger battery or 2 batteries.
When they first added the pulse bar. Some were having the same problem with their northstars and polaris brand plows. When wired directly to the battery instead of the pulse bar, everything worked as it should. Dont know the why, just remember the problem.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have the Oddessey 1200 and a hydro plow with a 2 hp motor, no issues in 3 seasons. Maybe you have a motor that is overdrawing. The motor should be wired directly to the battery from the motor relay.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
When they first added the pulse bar. Some were having the same problem with their northstars and polaris brand plows. When wired directly to the battery instead of the pulse bar, everything worked as it should. Dont know the why, just remember the problem.
If your winch motor is starved for sufficient current, wiring directly to the battery could help that problem, but if the battery voltage is dropping too low at the battery it is a different issue. I suppose if the wiring to the winch motor is too small, it might be possible to drop the voltage enough at the winch motor to cause the motor to draw excessive current. I only had any problem with the engine dying when the winch was completely stalled. It certainly would be better to wire directly to the battery anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the Oddessey 1200 and a hydro plow with a 2 hp motor, no issues in 3 seasons. Maybe you have a motor that is overdrawing. The motor should be wired directly to the battery from the motor relay.
It is wired to battery

·
Registered
908 Posts
I installed a v plow on my North Star and when I use plow voltage drops to 11 and most of the time engine dies just put a oddessey 1200 battery in but didn’t help much
Winch Motors Draw a Lot.
Install a Battery tender & Plug it in at Night Keeps the Battery fully Charged Weakest link on UTV is the Charging system

·
Registered
‘17 Ranger 570 Midsize
945 Posts
Maybe it’s the other stuff you are running. I don’t even use a fan on mine and rarely plow in the dark. :D

I do keep my Ranger plugged in, but the only time I’ve had any issue at all was pulling a Bull Elk that was about 700 lbs or so up hill through sagebrush for a few hundred feet.

Not my Elk, btw.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts