PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my Ranger now for two weeks and 230 + or - miles on it and the AC has never really produced cold air, granted it's been 100 degrees out but the air comes out cool but not cold and just can't keep up with the sun shining in the windows.

Are other Northstars operating in this heat range producing cold air or am I wanting too much?

The service tech at the dealership I am dealing with is corresponding with Polaris on what to do.

When my truck AC starts blowing warmer air, the truck goes into my service shop for a recharge. Did Polaris make provisions for this or did they assume the Ranger AC would never need to be recharged?

·
Registered
117 Posts
The highest temp I drove mine is was 90-92 degree with a heat index of over 100. Trail riding so in and out of tree cover. I over heated but think my fault for mounting a led light on the brush guard blocking air flow. When we started out that day ac seemed to work just fine, we were comfortable on high. Then ac started to fail, again I think because of blockage of air flow. Made another trip after removing the led light temp was 90. No problem and ac seemed to work well keeping me comfortable but not chilled. Again in and out of the sun. With the black roof I am thinking of putting some insulation between the roof and liner. I am thinking if your ac never puts out cold air there is something wrong. Do you know what your engine temp is running?? Mine on hot days about 175. and then drops when the fan kicks in. Not sure this helps but there are a few more 2019 Northstar owners here

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My temps run178,179 to 184 degrees,next time I have mine out I'll check the roof liner and is how hot it is.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Your temp is the same as mine....The roof is not an issue at this point but if your ac is blowing out warm air I would think maybe a issue with your ac system. The ac should blow out air that is about 20 degrees colder than the air taking in. With that said, I would get an old fashion outdoor temp thing and hold it to your ac outlet. Do your own test to see if the air coming out is about 20 degrees colder than in take air. If that is true, your ac is working right.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Wisconsin, so if the ambient temp is 100f, the AC should be kicking out 80f air?

Reactions: trog

·
Registered
93 Posts
Happy
We have the 2019 crew. On hot days in the sun it is warm inside, almost too warm. We can't roll a window down even a half inch or heat comes in from
under the dash. They definitely don't come with seal kits installed. A little disappointed. Even on cool nights like 60 we have to run the ac, with the windows down, so much heat come in from the front. On hot days with the windows rolled up any speed over 30 will push hot air in.
So I guess you could say your not alone.
Dennis

·
Registered
117 Posts
That is the way most a/c's work. Works that way in my motorhome and I tried it in my ranger but was sitting in the garage when I did so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an 18 XP1000 reg cab. My buddy has the 18 Northstar Crew. His AC is marginal during this record breaking hot summer. If it is 100* he can maybe manage to get the cab to 80* on a good day. He has also experienced overheating any time he goes through even a minor creek crossing. The engine temp will immediately spike to +230* and go inn to limp mode. If he stops and turns it off and restarts, it immediately cools down and off he goes. This has happened every time he crosses a small creek. Mine is not affected. I run with no windshields and nets. Cool cab and no dust. My friend is starting to wonder if he should've gotten the regular cab???

·
Super Moderator
6,840 Posts
JM2C

I personally would not take my NS to the Polaris Dealer for A/C Service.
I would take it to someone who specializes in A/C Service/Repair.
Excluding warranty work.

The A/C Components are the same as in a Automobile.

·
Super Moderator
6,840 Posts
Did Polaris make provisions for this or did they assume the Ranger AC would never need to be recharged?
The schrader valves for charging the system are located on the A/C lines, behind the front passenger tire, toward the middle of the unit.

·
Registered
93 Posts
There is a factory installed seal kit in all NS’s.
As to the effectiveness of them I can not say.
Ok. I'm not doubting you at all. If there is a seal kit installed, where would I look to make sure it is installed on mine? There definitely not anything in the back under seats, or behind the seats. I have watched the Polaris video on how to install the seal kit on rangers. They install foam around the battery compartment and in the back wall of the ranger. I don't have anything there at all.

·
Super Moderator
6,840 Posts
Ok. I'm not doubting you at all. If there is a seal kit installed, where would I look to make sure it is installed on mine? There definitely not anything in the back under seats, or behind the seats. I have watched the Polaris video on how to install the seal kit on rangers. They install foam around the battery compartment and in the back wall of the ranger. I don't have anything there at all.
There are pieces installed on the A pillar, between the front fenders and the dash.
B Pillar between outside plastic and seat plastic, and in the same place at the rear seat ( C pillar), between the black plastic panel behind the rear door and interior plastic.

Most of them you will not see, unless you do some disassembly.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
My 2018 Northstar is the same. Any temps above 90 degrees and it just can't keep up. The cab just isn't sealed tight enough to prevent the hot air coming off the radiator from pushing through. I'm thinking of taking apart my dash over the winter and trying to seal things off better. I also noticed warm air leaking in from the rear of the cab behind the seats. Again. I'm going to investigate this area and see if I can seal it up better. A friend of mine also suggested getting all the windows tinted. I'm sure this will help and I might try that.
The other thing I noticed is that this AC system uses the newest refrigerant...R1234yf . Read about it here: https://www.moderntiredealer.com/article/721959/real-world-experience-with-r1234yf-the-new-refrigerant-is-finally-here-are-you-ready
This means you'll have to bring your Northstar to an automobile dealer/shop vs having your Polaris dealer service it. I already asked mine to look at it and they laughed!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had my '17 out on a bunch of days over 90, The AC works and keeps the cab bearable but it is much better in temps under 90. I have all of my windows tinted and it makes a substantial difference. Mine only had the sides and rear tinted when I bought it used, I took it in last week and had them do 50% on the windshield and this made a huge difference.

·
Super Moderator
6,840 Posts
NS Guys, try removing the fresh air intake filter from under the hood and pluging it with something.

The Fresh air intake is drawing in the 90 Degree outside air which is also being heated by the radiator.
Pluging the hole will allow the cooler interior air to be circulated and filtered on the inside, increasing the A/C’s ability to cool.
You should see a reduction in cab temp.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
These Northstar Rangers should have a recirculate lever to do this. I think I know why POO didn't do this....turn off the fan with the windows up. Watch how quickly the cab fills with dust! Having the fan on pressurizes the cab and keeps out the dust. I'm afraid if you block off the air intake filter, you will loose cabin pressure and get much more dust. I'll experiment doing this over the weekend and report my results. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,840 Posts
Now that is a thought ...along with tinted windows
Depending on how you use your Ranger, the Tinted widows can obstruct your vision at night.
But are great during the daytime.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Use the ranger at night??? lol I don't even have time to use it during the day. It should last me forever or until the next best thing comes out.....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts