PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I put my vehicle in gear and take off, i get a very loud pop noise. I own an automotive shop and hear suspension noises all the time. Sounds like a metal on metal hit very hard. I took it to the dealer and was told its the clutch engaging.
They said its normal but there is no way this can be normal. Way too loud. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can check or what it might be. Maybe I should take it to a different dealer? I don't know.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Could be clutch. Put it in work mode and ease on the throttle for it to engage. If it doesn’t do it then it’s probably the clutch and it’s normal. I’d describe it more as a clunk. Probably just the clutch engaging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Just slack in the drive train. Mine and my buddies does the same thing. Buddy just traded his 2018 in with 6500 miles on it. His 2020 does the same thing. Straight cut gears. Alarming when you first hear it. Like rapping an aluminum bat against an oak tree, but they all do it. A clutch kit with smoother engagement will keep the jerking start and the clunk to a minimum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.... I'll just roll with it for now and see if it gets worse. Thank You

·
Registered
213 Posts
My 2019 Ranger xp 1000 has made “the clunk” since the first time I picked it up brand new at the dealer. First noticed it when I loaded it up on trailer. So glad to see that many, or all of them do it lol. My adjustable clutch weights and tune are supposed to arrive Monday so hoping the clunk is reduced. If not...at least I feel more comfortable now that it is somewhat “normal”👍

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let me know if that fixes your "clunk" noise. If it does, send me part numbers. I'll do the same to fix it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Let me know if that fixes your "clunk" noise. If it does, send me part numbers. I'll do the same to fix it.
Will do! I highly recommend even if it doesn’t fix the noise...that you upgrade your machine with Gilomen Innovations ECU tune and either the fixed weight clutch tune, or the adjustable weightsThe adjustable weight kit is only $50.00 more! Get on his site and also read a lot of posts on this forum about it. I have driven a few machines with his tune and knew when I bought mine that I was going to do the same with mine! Will let you know performance and what it does for the “clunk/pop”

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

It will still be there if you jam on the gas from a dead stop. The clutching will allow you to ease into the throttle so it isn't as abrupt and make the noise.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It will still be there if you jam on the gas. The clutching will allow you to ease into the throttle so it isn't as abrupt and make the noise.
Gotcha! I wasn’t to concerned about it cause it never got any worse. I never, well almost never, well maybe sometimes...okay, quite often “jam” the throttle😂.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Gotcha! I wasn’t to concerned about it cause it never got any worse. I never, well almost never, well maybe sometimes...okay, quite often “jam” the throttle😂.
Well....me to! :LOL: I just get the tires moving a smidge in the right direction to make sure the slacks out of the drive line before lighting em up.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It will still be there if you jam on the gas. The clutching will allow you to ease into the throttle so it isn't as abrupt and make the noise.
Well....me to! :LOL: I just get the tires moving a smidge in the right direction to make sure the slacks out of the drive line before lighting em up.
That is good advise! Will try that when I get it back together.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
The 2020 1000 may be equipped with the new style rear differential that doesn't contain planetary gears (one Toxic 21 posted about some time ago). If that is the case there may indeed be noises peculiar to the 2020 but not to previous model years. Perhaps Toxic will provide his expertise.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The 2020 1000 may be equipped with the new style rear differential that doesn't contain planetary gears (one Toxic 21 posted about some time ago). If that is the case there may indeed be noises peculiar to the 2020 but not to previous model years. Perhaps Toxic will provide his expertise.
In 18, the rear half of the clutch cover got integrated into the trans. So basically, its a big aluminum megaphone that amplifies the gear lash if there is any slack. Just got off phone with my friend who has a 2020 and ask if it still made the " pop" on take off. He said yep but I don't have to worry about those tiny gears.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ok...I said that I would reply when I got my ECU tune, new adjustable clutch weights and Best belt in the world installed on my machine from Gilomen, and if it did anything with the clunk/pop noise on take off. Well...after the proper belt break in procedure I then drove it like I stole it lol. This machine is AWESOME, and I have not heard a clunk or pop at all😁! Best money on upgrades to date.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ok...I said that I would reply when I got my ECU tune, new adjustable clutch weights and Best belt in the world installed on my machine from Gilomen, and if it did anything with the clunk/pop noise on take off. Well...after the proper belt break in procedure I then drove it like I stole it lol. This machine is AWESOME, and I have not heard a clunk or pop at all😁! Best money on upgrades to date.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts