PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Polaris Ranger Crew XP 1000
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an issue with my rig. When you turn the key to start the machine, sometimes it turns over, other times nothing. I’m all cases, when you put the key in and turn to start, all dash lights work, electric is getting there every time. However, it’s hit of miss (more miss) when you to the key all the way to start the engine.

The battery was 4 yrs old (original battery). There was some corrosion on the terminals. I cleaned everything up and replaced the battery with a brand new one - hoping that would fix the issue. It didn’t - it’s doing the same thing - so we can rule out the battery.

Anyone ever have a similar issue? Where should look next?

·
Registered
2008 Polaris Ranger 700 XP 4x4 EFI
102 Posts
Unplug your starter soleniod and verify you are getting power and ground. If you arent then your problem is before that, either the brake switch or ignition switch. If you are getting power, and you can jump the soleniod posts to get it to start then, your solenoid is shot.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have an issue with my rig. When you turn the key to start the machine, sometimes it turns over, other times nothing. I’m all cases, when you put the key in and turn to start, all dash lights work, electric is getting there every time. However, it’s hit of miss (more miss) when you to the key all the way to start the engine.

The battery was 4 yrs old (original battery). There was some corrosion on the terminals. I cleaned everything up and replaced the battery with a brand new one - hoping that would fix the issue. It didn’t - it’s doing the same thing - so we can rule out the battery.

Could be a bad battery.

·
Administrator
7,947 Posts
"so we can rule out the battery."

Notta. Four year old OEM batterys are always suspect. You can have all the volts and almost no amps..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On further testing tonight, I think it is the brake pressure switch. Normal pressure on the brake pedal, brake lights don’t turn on, and engine won’t start. If I step on the brake pedal hard enough, brake lights come on and engine starts. I ordered a new switch - hopefully will get it by the weekend and get it changed out. Thanks @Mossy700

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
It's pretty easy to change. I didn't lose any fluid and didn't have to bleed the brake lines. Just get the new one put in quick and don't touch the brake pedal with the switch removed. New switch should come with the washers for the banjo fittings.

I'm thinking the replacement switch I put on mine was the older part number switch used on the 800s.

Old thread on this subject: Brake Pressure Switch Problem

·
Registered
128 Posts
My 800XP EPS done that for 2 years. I changed the battery, the starter solenoid,
the brake sensor and it still did it. Then one day I started it when I had my diesel
tractor running beside it. I did think it started So I reached for the key and just as
I touched the key, 2 things happened: 1. I realized it was running and 2. when I
touched the key it died. I changed ignition switches for one I got off Amazon
and it's never done it again. The ignition must have had a short. Sometimes it
made contact and held; others it would hold for a minute or so or wouldn't
make contact at all.
This may or not be your problem but maybe someone else will benefit from it.
Good luck. It's frustrating as heck.
Dano

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My 800XP EPS done that for 2 years. I changed the battery, the starter solenoid,
the brake sensor and it still did it. Then one day I started it when I had my diesel
tractor running beside it. I did think it started So I reached for the key and just as
I touched the key, 2 things happened: 1. I realized it was running and 2. when I
touched the key it died. I changed ignition switches for one I got off Amazon
and it's never done it again. The ignition must have had a short. Sometimes it
made contact and held; others it would hold for a minute or so or wouldn't
make contact at all.
This may or not be your problem but maybe someone else will benefit from it.
Good luck. It's frustrating as heck.
Dano
Thanks for the info. I ordered a brake pressure switch - should arrive today. Hopefully that fixes things, but if not, I’ll be looking at the ignition next. I’ll let you know

·
Registered
83 Posts

Hopefully you found your issue.

After the battery and brake switch. If it still does is it intermittently, swap the starter relay with one of the others.
I have had to replace 4 stock polaris relays now. I carry spares now as part of my tool kit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally got around to changing the pressure switch out today. That seems to have fixed it! It will start now with just slight pressure on the brake- and consistently starts. I have tested all day today and I’m not seeing any of the ‘no start’ issues I was having.

Thanks to all for your input and feedback. I love having a place to go like this where people much smarter than me and help me out.

BTW- the part I bought off Amazon was Polaris part # 4014225. It does not look exactly like the original part on the machine, but fits perfect and works.

Please note the image shown for 4014225 on the Amazon listing is nothing like the actual part you’ll receive.

It's pretty easy to change. I didn't lose any fluid and didn't have to bleed the brake lines. Just get the new one put in quick and don't touch the brake pedal with the switch removed. New switch should come with the washers for the banjo fittings.

I'm thinking the replacement switch I put on mine was the older part number switch used on the 800s.

Old thread on this subject: Brake Pressure Switch Problem

1 - 17 of 17 Posts