PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my XP1000 ranger stuck in a creek, it ran the whole time until right when it was being pulled out and the motor went under, I have scoured this forum (and several others) and I have done everything I could find -
- I am on my 4th oil change
- new filter( actually I am on my 2nd oil filter)
- drained and replaced gas
- used seafoam injector cleaner
- blew out cylinders and replaced plugs, they look good now)
- cleared intake lines
- replaced air filter
The ranger runs but wont go over about 20mph around 4000 rpm, and after 4 oil changes there is still significant water in the oil when I drain it, its been a week since it was sunk and I am still getting the 65590 and 65592 codes. I have removed the battery connector to clear the codes but they still keep happening.

Any help would be greatly appreaciated!

robmc5

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
"it ran the whole time until right when it was being pulled out and the motor went under, "

So Rob, it went under running ?

Did you remove and empty/clean the gas tank ?

Reactions: RJ

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Trans and front diff need to be flushed also.

Reactions: jungleman

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys thanks for the replies!!

It was not running when it went under, while the motor was running the muffler was out of the water, barely. There were some ruts behind me that another jeep created. When my buddy started to pull me out the ranger died and would not start so they pulled me out and I went thru the ruts which were really deep and that sumberged the motor. I tried to steer around but was not so lucky. I siphoned the gas out and put in fresh but I did not clean it out. I am not sure how to flush trans and diff but I will look that up, I still cant understand why I still have as much water in the oil after 4 changes.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Rob, I am sure the engine got a good fill of creek water with the exhaust up in the air and the front of the engine in a downward position. you just have to keep throwing cheap oil in, stir and then drain it ....repeat.. Same with the gearcases.. You ABSOLUTELY need to remove the tank, empty and clean. Keep the SEAFOAM coming for the injectors etc..... Check the spark plugs and at least clean them.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Neighbor sunk his 19 xp1000 a couple of weeks ago. Never hydrolocked but dirty water in gas. Ended up replacing his fuel pump. Might want to check the fuel pressure also.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
You'll have to pull the tank and clean it out. After that, pull the fuel line off the fuel rail and purge that also.

Flushing diff and trans. Put it up on stands and run it. I used diesel fuel in a friend's that submarined. Took a couple times to clean the water out.

Reactions: jungleman

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really appreciate all the advice, I guess I have some more work to do!! I will get this all done and let you know how it works out.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Don't tear me apart too bad on this. Not to go off topic here but how would water get into gas tank? Isn't it water tight or are there vent tubes somwhere? Also isn't the engine aswell besides intake and exhaust? I creek ride pretty often nothing crazy deep but my diffs to go somewhat under water do they need often fluid changes?

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
torq
1. gravity
2. No.........yes vent
3. yes>>>>>>>>>>>>besides the air intake and exhaust
4. "creek riders" need more frequent fluid changes or a high paying job to buy parts.

Now that wasn't to painful was it ? I love to watch videos of people riding in knee to waist deep water as do people who own shares of STOCK in POLARIS..

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yes there is a vent. Pretty easy to find when you tip the bed. Air temp 85, water temp 70 = vacuum=its sucks water past any gap in seals. Water and high carbon steel equals rust plus the fact water is a poor lubricant not providing impact protection

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
???? I think he said and only said water in oil. Now I am enjoying a long neck after not having one for nearly a month and could happily be wrong or not give a $#@!
Cheers Summerman🍻 Have one for me!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE -
The Ranger is back running great. It took 6 oil changes to completely get all of the water out of the oil. The intake lines did have water in them so I used a shop vac to suck all the water out of the lines, if I have done that first it may have reduced the number of times I needed to change the oil. I did not wash fuel tank out but I did drain all the fuel and added Sea foam injector cleaner to the new fuel. New plugs and a new air and oil filters. There was no water in the coolant. I took it to the dealer to check trans and diff, they told me there was no water and they were fine, but it was running great before I took it to them.

Thanks for all the advice, its was not a smart move on my part but I had ridden in that creek a lot but it was higher than normal that day. Here is a funny picture, I pulled the skid plate off the bottom and there was so much mud (4 inches in some places) it took two grown men to pull the plate from under the Ranger!

·
Registered
893 Posts
When I was a Mod over at a alternative heating site, the first thing we would ask is if they did a proper and thorough cleaning before thinking the sky is falling:) Often the issue was something they forgot to do when they serviced or tried to skimp on.
Good to hear you got things sorted out. Have a safe holiday

1 - 16 of 16 Posts