PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2020 ranger 570
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum. Really like this place though. So here’s my problem. I recently purchased a 2020 ranger 570 midsize. I have noticed the exhaust from the engine all the way to the tip of the muffler turns bright red even after a short distance down the county roads at about 30 mph. I took the machine to the dealer they said they would scan it, then send the data to Polaris and check for problems. End of the story is they say there is no problem and this is normal for the 570s. Having owned a 2017 570 I know there’s not to be true. I am wondering if anybody else is familiar with this problem?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I've read more than once of the header pipe on the 570 turning cherry red. And not all of them or you'd read more complaints. Never the whole exhaust system though. Fact is they are programmed on the lean side to meet epa standards. Lean makes heat. You could try a tank of higher octane rec fuel. No ethanol in that, and see if it cools things down a bit. Other than that, an ecu reprogram to richen things up to cool exhaust temps down. And I know.....why should you have to deal with that on a new machine!?!. Apparently some are that way though.

Reactions: jungleman

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I would be doing the fuel programmer as this condition is just going to sooner than later start frying things up. Dealing with POCO and a Stealership on this is just going to be a bad dose of frustration. Stealerships are to f'n sthupid to do anything about it and if POCO did start ............it would cost them millions . Reality check : How long did something last that you noticed was GLOWING RED ? Just replacing the exhaust on one of these toasters is going to cost more than a good programmer and tune....

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
This problem has been mentioned several times previously on this Forum and I have yet to see any post where anyone resolved it. My suggestion is to find someone with an exhaust gas analyzer to determine the true fuel/air mixture. If it turns out that it is a lean issue, which I consider likely, you could take the results to the dealer as evidence of the problem and let them replace the ECU, or you could pay a reprogrammer to reprogram your ECU for better overall performance.

Simple reading of the spark plug will show signs of an extremely lean mixture to the experienced eye. If the lean condition is bad enough not only with the porcelain be bone white but may contain small dark specks which are particles of melted aluminum piston. After a longer period of running extremely lean the electrode may be found to have eroded or have portions missing, looking somewhat as if a welding torch had been played upon it and it began to melt, which is precisely what occurred.

Other possible causes of this condition are a malfunctioning compression release, cam with improper grind on the exhaust lobe or a cam timing issue. A clogged muffler due to an out of place baffle might also be the culprit but I suspect there would be associated additional symptoms such as reduced performance, limited RPM and possible fuel saturation of the air filter element and intake ducts due to standoff.

It is doubtful that a cam could get thorough the inspection process with an improper grind, however a malfunctioning compression release is more likely. A compression release mechanism holds the exhaust valve open to release compression during the cranking phase of engine starting. Once the engine is up to idling speed or above the mechanism is no longer supposed to be in play, however, if it were stuck and continued to hold the exhaust valve partially open it may cause the red hot exhaust symptom. A cylinder leak down test would be able to diagnose this problem.

Reactions: Rooster59 and RJ

·
Registered
2020 ranger 570
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I will try running different fuel in it for a little while. Then I will look into a cylinder leak down test and possibly an exhaust gas analyzer. Any suggestions on what tuner to purchase?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
That's ridiculous!

I know your probably not wanting to dump more money into a new machine. But would suggest calling Terry at Gilomen Inovations. Send him pics and give him a call. Excellent guy to talk to. He reprograms the 570 ecu and am pretty sure he would have some solid answers for you. Check his site out.

Reactions: jungleman

·
Registered
6,213 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
View attachment 131767
This is the outlet end of the muffler.
I had the same thing on my 2016 570xp but I don't have this in the 2018 900xp.
I thought that's how it suppose to be back then.
I was complaining about not having a heat shield and it felt like sitting on a pizza oven.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I had the same thing on my 2016 570xp but I don't have this in the 2018 900xp.
I thought that's how it suppose to be back then.
I was complaining about not having a heat shield and it felt like sitting on a pizza oven.

I have the 2015 570 XP and it's muffler does not get red hot like that.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I guess not all of them had that problem, mine was so hot that the top back rest was starting to flake and melt by the passenger side and I got a new one under the warranty.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I guess not all of them had that problem, mine was so hot that the top back rest was starting to flake and melt by the passenger side and I got a new one under the warranty.

Wow! Something was very wrong with that. I'm not certain where the problem lies, but it seems that Polaris has an intermittent defect in some portion of the 570 package since not all owners experience the problem. Perhaps it's the ECU.
I also suspect that there may be a problem with a sticking compression release which partially holds the exhaust valve open a tiny bit. Previously I've read that some owners find that they have valve clearances that are too tight when they reach the adjustment interval. This seems odd to me since wear on the cam lobe and tappet should increase clearance rather than decrease it. Decreased clearance would be the finding if the valve is sinking into the valve seat, and the cause could be excess heat from a valve that is slightly held off it's seat by the compression release. In addition, if the compression release were holding the valve open a few thousandths one would also see clearances that are too small.
Since I've not observed the problem personally this is entirely hypothetical, based only upon theory of what might be the cause. It makes me wonder if the hot muffler and reduced valve clearance are related. It would be nice if someone could explain for certain the cause of reduced valve clearances which some owners find, as well as the definite cause of the hot muffler.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
The only time I’ve seen anything like the photo was some type of valve- seat issues.And this was on non ECU engine’s the ECU can be a whole issue in itself.

·
Registered
2020 ranger 570
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I tried the recreational gas. No change. I have a cylinder leak down tester on order. If that test turns out good I will be sending the ecu to giloman innovation to be “tuned up”. I hate spending money on this new machine, but hopefully it will fix the heat issues that will eventually cause severe problem later. I talked with poco and there is nothing they are willing to do for me because the dealer sent them the information from the engine scan, but never told them about the almost 1000 degree muffler. So in there mind everything is fine. Just run it they say.

·
Registered
2020 ranger 570
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: I finally got the leak down tester, then had to order an adapter set for it. Everything checks out fine. Off to gilloman innovations I go. I will update again when I get the ecu back

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Keep us in the loop.

·
Registered
2020 ranger 570
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got my ecu back today. I am extremely happy with the changes Gilomen innovations did to it. Very highly recommended. Unfortunately no noticeable changes are evident with the red hot exhaust issue.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts