PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have put light bars on 3 of my xp900 using a fuse block and relays. Just thinking through on install on xp1000 . I see polaris has put a accessory wiring strip under the hood . What is the best way to wire the lights into it ? Are any of the a
Accessory terminals keyed ? What's the easiest way?
THANKS IN ADVANCE DON

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I
Have put light bars on 3 of my xp900 using a fuse block and relays. Just thinking through on install on xp1000 . I see polaris has put a accessory wiring strip under the hood . What is the best way to wire the lights into it ? Are any of the a
Accessory terminals keyed ? What's the easiest way?
THANKS IN ADVANCE DON
Guess nobody has ever added a light bar to there xp1000

·
Registered
465 Posts
Buy a pulse bar pigtail(or Polaris harness), connect the light bar/wiring to it and plug into the pulse bar.

Edit: if you go the pigtail route, you will have to make your own harness if the bar didn’t come with one.

·
Registered
2020 Ranger XP1000 Northstar Crew Ultimate
76 Posts
The bottom terminal (red wire) on factory harnessing is battery power. Middle terminal is ignition hot and great to power a switch which will then trigger a relay to run you high current light. The top terminal is the ground. As you might see there is a main fuse for the battery circuit at 40 amps but each terminal is rated for around 25 amps.

As far as what’s easiest, there might be some harnesses out there like the factory p/n 2883230 but IMO the connector and probably the lighter gauge wiring would not hold up to many of the larger wattage lights. The 2 pin DT series connector as awesome as it is only has a 13 amp rating. So easy might cause headaches down the road with melted connectors/wiring.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bottom terminal (red wire) on factory harnessing is battery power. Middle terminal is ignition hot and great to power a switch which will then trigger a relay to run you high current light. The top terminal is the ground. As you might see there is a main fuse for the battery circuit at 40 amps but each terminal is rated for around 25 amps.

As far as what’s easiest, there might be some harnesses out there like the factory p/n 2883230 but IMO the connector and probably the lighter gauge wiring would not hold up to many of the larger wattage lights. The 2 pin DT series connector as awesome as it is only has a 13 amp rating. So easy might cause headaches down the road with melted connectors/wiring.
Thanks so use the switched terminal and run it thru a relay?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

What light are you using and are you mounting it on the roof or windshield pilker?

·
Registered
2020 Ranger XP1000 Northstar Crew Ultimate
76 Posts
I went with a 30” Rough Country on the front of the roof. The mounting holes go through the roof forward of the cab so no holes go through the top and the light is not higher than the cab. Not sure you could go much bigger and have it fit well. The tip out window makes it difficult to mount a large lightbar like say a 50” unit. There might be some brackets that will work but you have to drill and pop rivet those in place which i refused to do. Didn’t like that route personally but it is a potential option nonetheless. If there isnt a tip out glass on your machine EMP makes some awesome clamp on brackets for the profit cab on the ranger for the curved 50” lights.

As for wiring i dont have a diagram handy but there are some on here if you poke around a bit. If you have nothing bought yet many lights will come with a complete wiring harness but i will say the switches generally fit like garbage if you cut out the hole to the size Polaris provides. Give these guys a call for a top quality switch that is exactly what your machine came with from the factory with nearly whatever text/picture you might want to have laser etched onto it.

Sky Cloud Motor vehicle Hood Automotive carrying rack

1 - 9 of 9 Posts